Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming by Jack Purdum; ISBN: 9780470261293
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 21st, 2010, 05:23 AM

Default follow up book to Beginning C#3.0

Mr.Purdum,
Thank you very much for your book. For a first time programmer, it was sufficiently gentle while at the same time it was challenging and mind stretching as well. Could you recommend a couple of books that can help me take my skills to the next level?
Thanks,
Venkatesh
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,166, Level: 13 Points: 1,166, Level: 13 Points: 1,166, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default The next level...

That's really a tougher question than you might think. The best answer is another question: "What's your goal?" Do you want to be a professional programmer? If so, then the next move is a book geared to web programming using either C# or Java. If you want to do recreational programming for yourself, then pick a book that addresses a topic in which you have a real interest. If you have a specific area of interest, let me know and I'll try to help.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:15 AM

Default Next step

Thanks Dr. Purdum,
I am looking to develop a back testing software for financial futures trading. This involves manipulating price data of financial instruments and then presenting the results in a raphical manner.
From your experience, do you think such applications are written with some data base as a back end or simply using the array features of C# will do?
Thanks again very much
Venkatesh
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default What next...

Your next book should be centered on database and, probably, web-based programming. I assume that examination of futures trading has got to be based on some manipulation of historical data as well as current trading data. That data is often DB-oriented. There are lots of vendors of stock data that provide it in different formats, but CSV (comma separated variables) is very common and many programs offer it as an output option (e.g., Excel). This would suggest some work with plain text files, too.

A starting place for selecting a book is Amazon.com. In the search box, type in Database Programming and then examine the list, reading the reviews for ones that look promising. Do the same for web programming. Then, if you can, call some local book stores and see if they have your choices in stock and then peruse them in the store. Pick what looks good to you and start reading and designing at the same time. Think about the design for your program as you read, making notes to yourself along the way. By the time you finish a couple of books, you should have a pretty solid design from which to work.

Keep me posted...
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default One more thing...

I forgot about the graphical stuff. Whenever possible, stand on the shoulders of those who have preceeded you...in other words, don't reinvent the wheel. A really great code source is the Code Project (codeproject.com) and I've used the following charting software and it's really pretty good and free:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/graphics/zedgraph.aspx

Always do searches of sites like this before you write your own version of something. Often you'll find ideas and problems that you didn't think of...
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM

Default Next step.

Thanks Dr.Purdum.
I really appreciate that you took the time to reply.
Venkatesh