Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming by Jack Purdum; ISBN: 9780470261293
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 30th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Friend of Wrox

Yeah thats it! Well I hope it is, the debugger was confusing me because the values weren't showing what I expected but then I realised it was calling the method twice in the return and working that out as it came along.

At first I expected it just to spit the result out and not work through the other two and evaluate their results as well. Not sure if what I have written makes sense but it does to me.

Where I work.

Connect with me on LinkedIn

Blog

Old May 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

That was sort of fun but turns out that recursive method is far too inefficient to actually use...

Where I work.

Blog

Old May 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Friend of Wrox

If anyone is interested this seems to be a more efficient way to do it:

Code:
static int Fibonacci(int x)
        {
            //if (x <= 1)
            //    return 1;
            //return Fibonacci(x - 1) + Fibonacci(x - 2); //TO INEFFICIENT

int previous = -1;
            int result = 1;
            int i = 0;

for (i = 0; i <= x; ++i)
            {
                int sum = result + previous;
                previous = result;
                result = sum;
            }
            return result;
        }

Where I work.

Blog

Old May 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Operator speed and recursive calls

Hi Will:

As a general rule, division is the slowest math operation you can do. If you want to experiment, try writing a tight loop that divides a floating point number by 10 a million times and time it. Then write the same loop and mutliply it by .1 a million times. While I haven't run this experiment for some time, the divide used to be about twice as slow. Perhaps new optimizing compilers are better now, but my guess is that division is still the slowest operator. Bit shifting was an old assembler language trick to do quick divides and multiplies by two, but that's probably an H-bomb to kill an ant now.

Methods and functions can call themselves in what is called a recursive function call. You might Google that for some explanations. Calculating a factorial is a classic example of recursion. Keep in mind, however, that each recursive call places a new set of parameters on the stack during each function call, driving the stack deeper and deeper. It's not uncommon to run out of stack space and crash the system if you don't code the terminating criteria correctly.

Anyway, it's encouraging that you're experimenting...it's a great way to improve your coding skills.