Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets for Web Design ISBN: 978-0-7645-7642-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets for Web Design by Richard York; ISBN: 9780764576423
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets for Web Design ISBN: 978-0-7645-7642-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Nav Bar Styling

Rich: This is probably my last post in this forum because I have finished your Beginning CSS book. It's a great book -- all marked up with my comments for future reference. Thanks for all the help too.

I'm creating a site using Visual Web Designer, using partial classes, master pages, etc. and styling many pages with their own css. I am having a problem creating a navigation bar on a master page, which gets copied to every application page. I am trying to avoid using tables-row-td for the nav bar placement. I have been spectacularly unsuccessful at trying to place the nav bar and the content place holder on child pages exactly where I want them.

What I am asking you, is if you can suggest a way or approach to avoiding the use of tables altogether for the placement of text, controls, images, links.

Of course, tabular data from a database that naturally belongs together is a candidate for inclusion in a table or a table-like contol, such as a Visual Basic GridView.

Excluding that, there should be a way to place everything else on a page without resorting to tables -- right?

VV

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 5,506, Level: 31 Points: 5,506, Level: 31 Points: 5,506, Level: 31
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I'd have to see your web page in order to help you design it without tables.

Have you got a link?

Regards,
Rich

--
Author,
Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets For Web Design
CSS Instant Results

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html