Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Dreamweaver MX/MX 2004 MX ISBN: 978-0-7645-4404-0; MX 2004 ISBN: 978-0-7645-5524-4
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Dreamweaver MX by Charles E. Brown, Imar Spaanjaars, Todd Marks; ISBN: 9780764544040
Please indicate which version of the book you are using when posting questions.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Dreamweaver MX/MX 2004 MX ISBN: 978-0-7645-4404-0; MX 2004 ISBN: 978-0-7645-5524-4 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 16th, 2003, 03:55 PM

Default Persistent DB Connection Error - Chapter 12

I have not been able to connect to TheSoccerSite.mdb database from within DW, at all. Here is what happens:

(1) After entering connection string in "Custom Connection String" dialog box, and then pressing "Test", the following error pops up in a message box:

"An unidentified error has occurred"

(2) After several other reattempts (checking and rechecking spelling errors and sundry potential fat-finger mistakes), to no avail, I tried to connect with the standard ODBC driver for Access, using both a custom connection string string (DSN-less) and DSN. No luck. Same error;

(3) I CAN connect OUTSIDE of DW MX, to either the copy on my Web server, and the local copy;

(4) I press the "OK" button, to create the "connTheSoccerSite.asp" file. Created perfectly, code inside is as advertised; the "Database Bindings" panel looks OK: connection appears with the usual tree view structure: "Tables", "Views", "Stored Procedures";

(5) However, when I attempt to expand any of the treeview items, "Tables", for example, the following message pops up:

"While executing getComponentChildren in Connections.htm, the following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

At line 65 of file "D:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\Configuration\Components\Common\Connections\Con nections.js":
exception throw in native function".

I've (a) turned off my firewall (b) turned off script blocking in Norton Antivirus (the cause of my previous cookie saving problem); I've uninstalled, then reinstalled DW MX. Nothing works.

I am running DW MX 6.1, Windows XP Pro, IIS 5.1, all on same computer.

Am also checking with Macromedia.

Sorry for the extra long message.

Elliot
Old June 16th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Elliot,

To make it easier for me to see what's going on, can you provide me with the following information:

1. The exact contents of the connTheSoccerSite.asp file in the Connections folder or the connection string you are trying to use.

2. The location of your Access database (including name, path etc) under the web root

3. The NTFS permissions for this folder.

4. The location your website points to (that is, the mapping between http://localhost/TheSoccerSite and the physical location.

5. Any other changes you may have made (IIS not running under Anonymous Access, the account used for IIS (IUSR_MachineName) etc etc.

It's little children's bedtime here where I live, so it may take me until tomorrow before I can answer any message you may send.....;)

Cheers,

Imar
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Imar:

Thank you for your help.

By the way, before I launch into the gory details, I tried an ASP.NET quickie site, and I received the SAME error:

(1) Contents of "connTheSoccerSite.asp" in "Connections" folder:

<%
 ' FileName="Connection_ado_conn_string.htm"
 ' Type="ADO"
 ' DesigntimeType="ADO"
 ' HTTP="false"
 ' Catalog=""
 ' Schema=""
 Dim MM_connTheSoccerSite_STRING
 MM_connTheSoccerSite_STRING = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source= C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TheSoccerSite\database\TheSocce rSite.mdb;User Id=admin;Password="
%>

(2) Full Path to database:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TheSoccerSite\database\TheSocce rSite.mdb

(3) NTFS permissions for "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TheSoccerSite\database":

Type Name Permission Inherited From Apply

Allow Administrators(JIMINY\Administrators) Full Control <not inherited> This folder, subfolders and files
    Allow Elliot(JIMINY\Elliot) Full Control <not inherited> This folder, subfolders and files
    Allow Internet Guest Account(JIMINY\IUSR_JIMINY) Modify <not inherited> This folder, subfolders and files
    Allow SYSTEM Full Control <not inherited> This folder, subfolders and files

(4) Server mapping:

http://localhost/thesoccersite = C:\inetpub\wwwroot\TheSoccerSite
(5) What you said is all true, i.e. no anonymous access, IUSR_JIMINY is guest account (see (4) above.)

Elliot
Old June 17th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

This is really weird. AFAICS, everything is set up the way it should be.

Are you sure that the account you use to run Dreamweaver (the account logged in in Windows) does have enough permissions to both the database folder (to change the database and to create the ldb file) and to the MDB file itself?

To find out whether it's a permissions issue, you could temporarily give full rights to the everyone group for the database folder and all its childs.....

Cheers,

Imar
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Imar:

The account logged into Windows (Elliot) has full permissions. Indeed, when I(Elliot) do connect to the database (DSN) from outside of DW, the .ldb file is created properly.

I gave full permissions to everyone, but, no luck. As I've stated, I can connect, view tables, do selects, etc., from other software, using the ODBC connection (e.g., PowerBuilder).

I am going to try to install DW in a different OS and/or a clean install of Win XP.

Elliot
Old June 17th, 2003, 05:34 PM

Good News!

I moved my remote and testing server to my Win2K3 server running IIS 6, editted my site definitions, and - voila! Database connection tested successfully both DSN and DSN-less, connTheSoccerSite.asp saved properly, and I can see the tables, etc., in the Database bindings panel.

Now, I still don't know why it failed locally under WinXP, but that's for another day.

Elliot
Old June 18th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Wrox Author

Really weird. It shouldn't be this way.
Anyway, glad you sort of worked it out and are able to continue.

If you have any other issues with the book, please let me know......

Cheers,

Imar
Old March 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM

I'm having the same problem connecting to my database under dreamweaver MX!
While executing getComponent Children in Connections.htm The following script error has occured:
At line 65 of file "d:\Program Files\DreamweaverMX\configuration\components\commo n\connctions\connections.js" exception throw in native function
I'm running in windows XP and using the databse access 2002.
The database was originally saved under access 97 and I have to convert it to access 2002. I was able to connect to dreamweaver's database under windows 98's personal webserver but it won't connect under windows XP. What could be the problem?

Old March 6th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Wrox Author

Hi there,

Sounds like a permissions issue, then, if it worked under Windows 98.

First, save the database in 2000 format. It should't matter much, but from an ASP perspective, there are no benefits in the 2002 format.

Then check the security settings for the folder where the .mdb file resides in. To do so, right click the folder, choose Properties and open the Security tab. Which users are listed there? What permissions do they have?

Can you also post your connection string?

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mylai

I also having the same problem :(
I had grant the full permission to everyone therefore I believe is not the matter of permission