Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Java > Java and JDK > BOOK: Beginning Java 2
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Java 2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Java 2, SDK 1.4 Edition by Ivor Horton; ISBN: 9780764543654
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Java 2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 19th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Default I want to start learning Java

Hey,

I want to start learning Java and want to do this with the book 'Beginning Java 2, SDK 1.4 Edition'. I guess this book is right for starting with Java ? The question is actually which software do I need to practice and make the exercises. Is this JBuilder from Borland?

Thanx
Gerd
:)
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Hi Gerd,

You can try "Head First Java" from O'Reilly also. Quite good book to learn Java. The decision is yours :o)
Regarding the exercises:
In my opinion the best start is to use the javac compiler from the SUN (part of the J2SE SDK).
If You want to use an IDE, You can use Eclipse, which is an open source product and You can download it from wwww.eclipse.org.

Have a nice day!

Gabriel

Old February 19th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Friend of Wrox

Gerd,

It's great that you want to learn Java and Ivor's book is a good initial tutorial. If you don't have OO experience then you might want to have a look a Beginning Java Objects by Jaquie Barker or the Object Orientated Thought Process by Matt Weisfeld. Understanding objects is key to getting the best out of Java.

Jbuilder is a great tool but I wouldn't recommend it for a novice as it adds a level of complexity to the learning process, as you have to learn the IDE as well. Once you are up to speed then make the switch, but until then stick to a simple editor; Notepad works fine but is very limited, TextPad, JEdit and JCreator are easy to use snd in my opinion are the sort of tools you should start with. Other options include: NetBeans, Eclipse, IntelliJ, CodeWarrior, Visual Cafe, etc.

The list goes on and on and everybody has their own preference, but like I said; focus on the language not the tool, once you understand the language, objects and their combined capabilities then look to use an IDE and other tools, methods, etc. to increase your productivity.

Cheers

Martyn
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gerd Molkens
'Beginning Java 2, SDK 1.4 Edition'. I guess this book is right for starting with Java ?
Ja, dit is een geweldig boek! Ik hoop dat je Engels goed is, want Ivor's taalgebruik is technisch nogal hoogdravend. Dat heeft de volgende reden: de bedoeling is dat je in staat bent de Java API die bij de SDK documentatie (Java docs) komt te raadplegen. En daarin is de uitleg nog technischer!
Quote:
quote:The question is actually which software do I need to practice and make the exercises. Is this JBuilder from Borland?
JBuilder is mij afgeraden en ik weet nu waarom. De MS-DOS window mag er dan onaantrekkelijk uit zien, je weet wel wat je aan het doen bent! Een uitgebreidde ontwikkelomgeving ontneemt je zulk zicht.

Groeten en veel succes!
Frans Lelieveld