Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 ISBN: 978-0-470-19134-7
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 by Thearon Willis, Bryan Newsome; ISBN: 9780470191347
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 ISBN: 978-0-470-19134-7 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Default Squirming in my Prgramming Chair

So I’m sitting here about 5 weeks into my VB 2008 journey and I don’t get it! I need help to understand a few things. I’ve worked in programming for 14 years and I’ve programmed SQL, VB, VBA and Access. I just don’t understand the consistency of the syntax of this language.

I will try and be brief but here’s a few things I would like to ask. In the first few pages of the book you introduce MessageBox.Show(n) WOW! Hold on a minute! Where did that switcharoo come from? In VB I’ve never done cmd.method(parms) Not like that!
Why would you need MessageBox.Show anyway? What else are you going to do with it? I know I can still call the old Msgbox command but I want to know where the idea of cmd.method(parms) come from?

Continuing the above theme, there is intNumber.ToString. Again, Why? That is confusing as we have parm.cmd. This is inconsistent with the above message box example. In VB it was a command, followed by a parameter. Now it seems like its switched up every which way.

Again continuing the above theme system.strings.Left(StrName,3). Again, why? I don’t have to do system.math.add (aNumber) so why the song and dance with the left command?

The overall point I am trying to make is how am I supposed to learn VB2008 if it is so random (or appears so random)? It seems like the structure of the language is extremely poorly thought out. I understand that they had to go completely OO but I am not sure this is what VB programmers really wanted. Someone please help me. I really want to learn this language but at every corner I seems to be disagreeing with it.

Thanks

Last edited by PhillD; April 14th, 2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM

I moved this to a different thread. Please disregard.