Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 2008 > BOOK: Beginning Microsoft Visual C# 2008 ISBN: 978-0-470-19135-4
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Microsoft Visual C# 2008 ISBN: 978-0-470-19135-4
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Microsoft Visual C# 2008 by Karli Watson, Christian Nagel, Jacob Hammer Pedersen, Jon D. Reid, Morgan Skinner, Eric White; ISBN: 9780470191354
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Microsoft Visual C# 2008 ISBN: 978-0-470-19135-4 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 9th, 2010, 12:55 AM

Default chapter 19 page 660 Cannot Create a New Database

Chapter 19 page 660 Cannot Create a New Database. I can get to step 4: "Enter (local) for the server name, and BegVCSharpEvents for the database name." then I recieve pop up window with the following message: "A network-related or instanse specific error occurred while establishing connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server).

Please help me to solve this problem.
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via Yahoo to msherburne84

Depending upon what you are running for Sql server. If you are running sql server express addition locally, check to make sure that the instance name is the same as what it says when you created the sql server instance. usually if you left the default settings the instance should be (localhost). If you have Sql Server running on a server connected to a LAN then you probably have not configured sql server to allow remote access to it. Let me know what set up you are running.
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Hello,
I am having the same problem. From what I've checked so far, it looks that I am running a sql server express addition locally, how do I check the instance name? Thanks in advance!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:14 AM

Default SQL Server Configuration Manager

Hello. I had the same problem but manged to resolve it on my PC using SQL Server Configuration Manager. This will show you the instances of SQL you have on your machine. Under Network Configuration I enabled protocols TCP/IP and Named Pipes.
You must restart the server when you make any changes for it to have any effect which you can do from the Configuration Manager.

When creating the database in VS for the server name hit Refresh then the server should be visible from the drop down list. e.g. computerName\SQLExpress.
I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobIOC For This Useful Post:
fuzzball (September 5th, 2010)
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:52 PM

@ RobIOC
Thank you!