Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > PHP/MySQL > BOOK: Beginning PHP 6, Apache, MySQL 6 Web Development ISBN: 9780470391143
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP 6, Apache, MySQL 6 Web Development ISBN: 9780470391143
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP 6, Apache, MySQL 6 Web Development by Timothy Boronczyk, Elizabeth Naramore, Jason Gerner, Yann Le Scouarnec, Jeremy Stolz; ISBN: 9780470391143
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP 6, Apache, MySQL 6 Web Development ISBN: 9780470391143 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 28th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Exclamation Need some Explaination for Installing PHP5.3, Page10-11.

Hello I'm a New User here. Just Started on the book:
php6, apache, mysql web development isbn 978-0-470-39114-3

Theres a Difference in the latest PHP5.3 installations.
About VC6/VC9 x86 Thread Safe/Non Thread Safe??

Whats the difference and which shld we choose to Install?

This is the only Explaination I get from http://windows.php.net/download/
"Do NOT use VC9 version with apache.org binaries"

What about Thread Safe/Non Thread Safe??

and on Page 11, i cant find libmysql.dll on any of the versions available for PHP5.3

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me please

Thx

-Slim, WebProgrammerWannabe

Last edited by SlimShady; August 28th, 2009 at 06:04 AM..
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Default After awhile Searching for the Answer.

Heres abit more explanations on PHP5.3 installations on Windows:
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/...php53-windows/

and heres a solve for the "MISSING" libmysql.dll, although i have not reach the part in the Book to test it:
http://www.siteinaweek.com/installphp5/howto.php

will post any findings i find, to solve the "Missing libmysql.dll".
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Default I found some explaination on why libmysql.dll is not in PHP5.3 bundles...

From: http://sg2.php.net/manual/en/faq.dat...ses.mysql.php5

Quote:
PHP 5 no longer bundles MySQL client libraries, what does this mean to me? Can I still use MySQL with PHP? I try to use MySQL and get "function undefined" errors, what gives?

Yes. There will always be MySQL support in PHP of one kind or another. The only change in PHP 5 is that we are no longer bundling the client library itself. Some reasons in no particular order:
  • Most systems these days already have the client library installed.
  • Given the above, having multiple versions of the library can get messy. For example, if you link mod_auth_mysql against one version and PHP against another, and then enable both in Apache, you get a nice fat crash. Also, the bundled library didn't always play well with the installed server version. The most obvious symptom of this being disagreement over where to find the mysql.socket Unix domain socket file.
  • Maintenance was somewhat lax and it was falling further and further behind the released version.
  • Future versions of the library are under the GPL and thus we don't have an upgrade path since we cannot bundle a GPL'ed library in a BSD/Apache-style licensed project. A clean break in PHP 5 seemed like the best option.

This won't actually affect that many people. Unix users, at least the ones who know what they are doing, tend to always build PHP against their system's libmysqlclient library simply by adding the --with-mysql=/usr option when building PHP. Windows users may enable the extension php_mysql.dll inside php.ini. For more details, see the MySQL Reference for installation instructions. Also, be sure libmysql.dll is available to the systems PATH. For more details on how, read the FAQ on setting up the Windows systems PATH. Because libmysql.dll (and many other PHP related files) exist in the PHP folder, you'll want to add the PHP folder to your systems PATH.
So what does the above means? does libmysql.dll is still needed? if yes, where can we get the Correct libmysql.dll to use?

so far i found 2 source of libmysql.dll:
  • From MySQL 5.1 : *\MySQL Server 5.1\bin
  • From PHP5.2.10 Bundle: *\php
Yet to use Either of these, have not reach the part in the book which require PHP+MySQL yet.
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Default So far So Good

I have pass thru Chapter 4 tuts without any problem

I guess "libmysql.dll" is not needed for me, and i can skipp "the copy and paste to C:\Windows\System32" on page 11 of the book.

Probably bcoz of these reasons:

Quote:
* Most systems these days already have the client library installed.

* Given the above, having multiple versions of the library can get messy. For example, if you link mod_auth_mysql against one version and PHP against another, and then enable both in Apache, you get a nice fat crash. Also, the bundled library didn't always play well with the installed server version. The most obvious symptom of this being disagreement over where to find the mysql.socket Unix domain socket file.

* Maintenance was somewhat lax and it was falling further and further behind the released version.

* Future versions of the library are under the GPL and thus we don't have an upgrade path since we cannot bundle a GPL'ed library in a BSD/Apache-style licensed project. A clean break in PHP 5 seemed like the best option.
thats settle the missing "libmysql.dll" problem.

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Default If you installing PHP5.3

Also note that if you decided to install PHP5.3 instead of PHP6,
on Page 12 of the book:

Quote:
Add the following line:
LoadModule php6_module "C:\PHP\php6apache2_2.dll"
you need to alter it to:

LoadModule php5_module "C:\PHP\php5apache2_2.dll"

GoodLuck