Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQLWeb Development by Michael K. Glass, Yann Le Scouarnec, Elizabeth Naramore, Gary Mailer, Jeremy Stolz, Jason Gerner; ISBN: 9780764557446
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 15th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Authorized User

Default Mysql and Dos

I'm very confused here, but I'll do my best to describe my problem.

I installed MySQL 4.0.20d on my desktop (XP Home), then deleted it and reinstalled it on the C: drive

Because of this Dos sees the current server installed on C:/Documents and Settings/mr. mojo risin/Desktop/mysql-4.0.20d-win-noinstall/mysql-4.0.20d-win-noinstall/bin/mysqld-nt.exe

So when I do NET START MySQL it says System error 2 has occured The system cannot find the file specified

When I run createmovie.php from chapter 3 pg 98 I get this error

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061) in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\test\createmovie.php on line 4
Hey loser, check your server connection.

How do I fix this? I'm hoping it's as easy as typing some stuff in Dos, but DOS is pretty alien to me. Please Help! Thanks.

Old August 16th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pipdickenz
 I installed MySQL 4.0.20d on my desktop (XP Home), then deleted it and reinstalled it on the C: drive

If you DELETED it, instead of uninstalling it you made a big mistake.

I am assuming you did not actually install TO YOUR DESKTOP, right? What you meant was your PC? and you installed to a drive other than C:, correct?

Quote:
quote:
How do I fix this? I'm hoping it's as easy as typing some stuff in Dos, but DOS is pretty alien to me. Please Help! Thanks.
Do you have a dual boot of XP and DOS? That is the only way you could have DOS on that machine. If you are assuming that DOS rules (or *nix) rules apply to Windows, DON'T!.

You can not just delete folders and expect to have things work.

- First you need to reinstall BACK INTO THE ORIGINAL LOCATION.
- Second you need to uninstall mysql THE CORRECT WAY. (tell me your version, and I can give you the instructions, or you could read the manual pages about it)
- Third reinstall mysql to the location you want.
- Fouth REBOOT

Old August 16th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Authorized User

No unfortunatly I did originally install it on the desktop (as indicated by the path). When I say DOS I mean the comand prompt. And yes it was on the C:/ drive (I don't understand the need or reasons to put it on another drive, but to make it work am I going to have to partition my Hard drive ?) I did uninstall it (as opposed to deleting it). the version I'm using was downloaded as mysql-4.0.20d-win-noinstall. I'll try your advice but I believe I'll end up in the same situation.. Thanks for replying!

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:52 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pipdickenz
 No unfortunatly I did originally install it on the desktop (as indicated by the path).
not necessarily. You could have copied it to your desktop.

Assuming things based upon a little evidence is dangerous. A path proves only that the path exists.

[/quote]
     When I say DOS I mean the comand prompt. And yes it was on the C:/ drive (I don't understand the need or reasons to put it on another drive, but to make it work am I going to have to partition my Hard drive ?)
[/quote]
No.

I have 4 copies of Apache and 4 copies of PHP installed. To keep them straight I installed each pair to a drive of it's own. You don't need to do that.

Quote:
quote:
I did uninstall it (as opposed to deleting it). the version I'm using was downloaded as mysql-4.0.20d-win-noinstall. I'll try your advice but I believe I'll end up in the same situation.. Thanks for replying!
well good luck. let us know the answer.

Old August 24th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Authorized User

I installed then uninstalled the program on the desktop then I installed the install version on the C: drive . Now when I type NET START MYSQL at the command prompt it says system error 1067. I believe that going along the steps to create additional servers could probably fix my problem, but I instead just tried getting a free host ( www.5gigs.com ) All the php has worked, but the server only allows 1 database. from page 96-97 I believe I could just create 1 database (wiley) to store all the info, but as a begginer it's preferable to not deviate from the book.