Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQLWeb Development by Michael K. Glass, Yann Le Scouarnec, Elizabeth Naramore, Gary Mailer, Jeremy Stolz, Jason Gerner; ISBN: 9780764557446
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 5th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Authorized User

Default Forgot password for phpmyadmin

How do i recover the password and username for phpmyadmin if I forgot it. Thanks.

Old September 7th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,515, Level: 15 Points: 1,515, Level: 15 Points: 1,515, Level: 15
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

If you have CLI access to the mysql server, you could restart mysql with -Sg (skip grant tables). When you've done that, do FLUSH PRIVILEGES; straight away, to avoid anyone else being able to connect, then use the usual grant syntax to sort out a new password/and or username.

If you don't have CLI access to the server, your isp should be able to help out.

--
Don't Stand on your head - you'll get footprints in your hair. http://charlieharvey.com
Old September 7th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Authorized User

What exact commands in dos do i need to type. I do have command line access to mysql server.

I changed the password to mysql by typing in another command but it didnt affect phpmyadmin.

What exact steps do i need to type in dos to recover the password for PHPMYADMIN.

Thanks alot for your previous response

Old September 8th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,515, Level: 15 Points: 1,515, Level: 15 Points: 1,515, Level: 15
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

> I changed the password to mysql by typing in another command but it didnt affect phpmyadmin.

Can you log in using a password to mysql from the commandline, for eg.

mysql -u phpmyadminuser -p <PASSWORD>

If you can, it probably means that there's something wrong with the phpmyadmin setup. You should check through your config.inc.php file
around line 70-80 reads something like:
--
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config'; // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'phpmyadminuser'; // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'the_password';
--

> What exact steps do i need to type in dos to recover the password for PHPMYADMIN.

The old password should be set in the file above, so it's really just a case of :
+ locate config.inc.php
+ edit it using edit or notepad or jedit or whatever.
+ the old password should be set up as above.

If it isn't there, then you should first set a new password for the appropriate user in mysql like:

C:> mysql -u mysqladmin -p
USE mysql;
UPDATE user SET password=PASSWORD('yournewpass') WHERE user='phpmyadminuser' ;
FLUSH privileges ;

Then alter the above lines of config.inc.php so that username and password reflect the new password.

If you really need to recover the password, rather than set a new one, and its not in config.inc.php, you'll have to copy the encrypted one out of the appropriate row in the user table, and run a password cracker like john the ripper on it. I'll leave this for another post :-)

--
Don't Stand on your head - you'll get footprints in your hair. http://charlieharvey.com