Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQLWeb Development by Michael K. Glass, Yann Le Scouarnec, Elizabeth Naramore, Gary Mailer, Jeremy Stolz, Jason Gerner; ISBN: 9780764557446
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 26th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Default Moving the MySQL Database Root Directory

I was able to install MySQL 4, Apache 2 and PHP 5 (in that order), with little difficulty, and everything seems to be working.

The MySQL databases are located at the default folder at

C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\data

However, the local files of my website (to be uploaded using Dreamweaver) are located at

C:\MyWebSite

Shouldn't the database I create be located in the MyWebSite folder, along with the site's other pages, so that the inevitable uploading is quick and easy?

Could I use MySQL Administrator to edit the root data path of MySQL databases? If I do, should I manually move the databases from the old location to the new? Should I exit MySQL first? I'm worried about the MySQL database in particular, which holds user information.

Or should I just continue working with what I have? When ready to upload the database, I would then copy it first to the appropriate directory in my local site.

Thanks in advance!