Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP4/PHP 5 ISBN: 978-0-7645-4364-7; v5 ISBN: 978-0-7645-5783-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP4 by Wankyu Choi, Allan Kent, Chris Lea, Ganesh Prasad, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764543647
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP4/PHP 5 ISBN: 978-0-7645-4364-7; v5 ISBN: 978-0-7645-5783-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old November 17th, 2004, 09:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to aboo Send a message via Yahoo to aboo
Default Help on sending data between forms

We can use GET or POST to transfer data between PHP files. But, as per the text "Beginning PHP4, we can access the variables passed just by calling as follows.

Form1 :

In a form $Author has a value and we use GET method to submit it.

In the receiving form I tried to access the variable but it says : Author undeclared. I checked the Case. It is correct. And the URL is having the variable included. But no result.

It works when I access the variable as follows:

$_GET['Author']

Please help
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via Yahoo to peg110

First of all the reason it's undeclared, is, I suspect you are posting to the $PHP_SELF thus the first time you get to the page no value is passed and thus the variable is Undeclared (until it actually contains data)

You can control this by adjusting level of error reporting. You can either change that in the PHP.INI or you can suppress the error a couple of ways. You can change

$_GET['Author'] to @$_GET['Author']

or you can use many functions to check the variable such as the isset() or emtpy() function.
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.isset.php
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.empty.php

These will prevent the throwing of an error (I believe that they are only NOTICE type errors too.)

Hope this helps

Paul Gardner
------------------
PHP-LIVE help
Via Web @ http://www.mnetweb.co.uk/irc
Via IRC Client pgardner.net:6667
room #PHP