Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning VB.NET 2nd Edition/Beginning VB.NET 2003
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional VB.NET 2003 by Bill Evjen, Billy Hollis, Rockford Lhotka, Tim McCarthy, Jonathan Pinnock, Rama Ramachandran, Bill Sheldon; ISBN: 9780764559921
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning VB.NET 2nd Edition/Beginning VB.NET 2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old August 7th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Authorized User

Default Chapter 8 - Toolbars (tech question)

Hi all,

Not sure whether this question maybe answered later in the book, or in the Professional version which I've also purchased...however..

I have just added a couple of toolbars to a windows form in the exercise in chapter 8 - marvellous - all working as it should...my question though - when you use the menu's that you've added to 'hide' the menus the app still leaves a big grey area for where they would appear if you turn them on. For example - if I was to turn them both off I would have an area about 1 inch thats just grey - and it looks odd.

In MS Word when you add more toolbars doesn't it shuffle the page down a bit? Also - the MS apps have the little 'handle' on the left where you can drag them around a bit - move them onto new lines - are we able to achieve this in VB.Net? It would be handy to have all of the other controls on the page shuffle up if nothing else when a toolbar is 'hidden' - perhaps this isn't the visible = false kinda thing - but is there any other way of achieving it?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Regards

Rob

Rob
Old August 10th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Wrox Author

The problem you describe can be solved by adding your menus, toolbars, and then your statusbar. Then add a Panel control and set its Dock property to Fill. Next, add all of your other controls to the Panel control and arrange them to your satisfaction. Now when you hide a toolbar, the Panel control will automatically use the extra space that was taken by your toolbar and when you show your toolbar again, the Panel control will use less room.
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Authorized User

Hello Thearon,

Many thanks for the reply and the information - I shall give this ago - probably on the example code I think - save me some time :)

Cheers

Regards

Rob