Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases ISBN: 978-0-7645-8894-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases by Thearon Willis; ISBN: 9780764588945
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases ISBN: 978-0-7645-8894-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 31st, 2006, 02:13 PM
Authorized User

Default Primary key

How do i add a primary key to my datatable through code in design time?
the reason i ask is that i am trying to take advantage of the disconnected architecture of ado.net (i am populating a dataset with a table of items(inventory), and the items are put into a listbox where a user can select one item to display the details on the item. the only way i can figure out how to fill text boxes with the corresponding selected item details is by doing a filter of the original dataset (filter by 'id' which is what i set as the data value for the listbox) using the unique 'id' column and then setting the text fields of these text boxes to the corresponding columns in the datatable row that is returned after the filter. this way i wont have to reconnect to the database and query for the listbox selected item by 'id'.
the problem here is that you have to have a primary key defined in your datatable before you can filter it....i have tried a few methods of adding a primary key at design time with code but have been unsuccessful....any help please? is this sound practice to avoid requerying the database, even if its a stored procedure? i figured it would be best practice to use the dataset in memory and just filter it?
thanks
justin

Old July 31st, 2006, 07:21 PM
Wrox Author

Justin,

Does your inventory table have a primary key defined on it? I would assume that it does and you should also be selecting that primary key in your dataset. If you are binding a listbox to a DataTable, then you really should only have two columns in the DataTable; the primary inventory key and the inventory description.

Thearon