Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases ISBN: 978-0-7645-8894-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases by Thearon Willis; ISBN: 9780764588945
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 Databases ISBN: 978-0-7645-8894-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Authorized User

Default Migrating From Access

After a number of false starts I decided to Try Again to make the switch from Access to SQL Server. I am using SQL Server 2005 Express.

I am trying to do the Migration Utility in chapter 8 and having trouble getting it to work. SQL Server is installed as is the associated Management studio. Here are the specifics.

I log on to the Management studio. The login screen shows:
Server name; SIRMILT\SQLEXPRESS
Authentication: Windows Authentication
User Name : SIRMILT\SIRMILT
When I click Connect button, it connects.

When attempt to run the Migration program in chapter 8 it fails. I have tried using the Server Name with and without the computer name (SIRMILT) and no combination works.

The error message I get when I use the server name SIRMILT\SQLEXPRESS and the user namr SIRMILT\SIRMILT is "Login failed or user 'SIRMILT\SIRMILT'. The user is not assciated with a trusted SQL Server connection."

If I login with SQLEXPRESS an SIRMILT I get the error: "[DBNETLIB] [ConnectionOpen(Connect().]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or pont out my mistake.

Milt

Old October 17th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Wrox Author

Milt,

Please review the other threads on Chapter 8 to see if any of those help.Also, run the SQL Server Configuration Manager and check the SQL Server Network Configuration to ensure that TCP/IP and Named Pipes are enabled.

Thearon

Old October 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Authorized User

Default Migrating From Access

Thearon:

Thank you for your very quick response and suggestions.

I have tried to find any references to either TCP/IP or Named Pipes in the SQL Server Configuration Manager, trying to get the SQL Server active has really frustrated me and hopefully, with your help I will get it done this time.

Milt

PS: I have read and tried a lot of tutorials in the past but this volume is by far the best I have come across.