Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7401-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2005 by Thearon Willis, Bryan Newsome; ISBN: 9780764574016
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7401-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Default Class Libraries

In our company we're very restricted about what can be installed on our C drives so I'm hoping we can avoid putting Class Libraries on the users PCs.

So, I've created a test Class Library on our server and then referenced the library from a test project. This works fine, but I'm wondering if this the best way to do it? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I am not sure what is good and bad about that, but here is another idea.

You should consider web forms so you do not need to install anything on users PC's as long as they have a web browser. Those are later in the book. One reason to use them is to avoid having to install on local PC's. The UI is not as flashy got it is getting closer to windows forms. There are other pros and cons.

Bryan

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Thanks Bryan

Web forms will definitely be one for the future, but I think the learning curve is too steep to learn .Net and web forms in the short term, so we'll probably stick with windows forms for now.

I copied the exe onto the server as well as the DLL and was able to run the exe on another PC without installing anything. Is this a way of getting round deployment issues on users C drives?

If it's ok to have the Class Libraries on the server, is there an easy way of pointing the project at the dev version of the class library during development and then automatically using the live version of the class library when the exe goes live? Maybe by having a relative path to the class library rather than having to specify the server/path and dll name?

Old April 18th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Yes, you can put everything on a network share. I have not done this type of deployment in production, but it should work in most cases. I think to biggest issue woould be to make sure the users had the correct version of the framework. You could also use click once deployment. See chapter 21 for more info on that.

Bryan

Old April 18th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Thanks again Bryan

I thought that if I referenced a class library in location A within the project that the exe would use that as the location when it runs, but it doesn't seem to, it uses the exes path instead (which is incidently good news for me!).

Can you confirm this?

Thanks

PS are you THE Bryan?