Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7401-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2005 by Thearon Willis, Bryan Newsome; ISBN: 9780764574016
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7401-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM

Default Rate this book?

How would you rate this book?

I have access to several beginning VB 2005 books and have an urgent need to learn the most possible in the shortest amount of time. I am considering this book and would like to hear how you rate it and what you think about it in general, specifics are fine too of course!

One thing about the book that has me worried is what looks like a rather large volume of errors reported on the errata pages before I even get in to the book and content. Is it normal for a technical text like this to have this many errors?

If the reported errors are normal and should not be a factor in choosing my book - path, please, throw up a line and tell me what you think.

Thank you!

Old March 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Well after reading all of the customer reviews of several books on Amazon I decided to skip this one and go with: Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Step by Step

It had the best reviews out of them all. If you don't find this WROX book is able to hit the learning style you need maybe give the MS book a try.

Good luck all and here's to your valiant little grey cells, may they keep on kicking no matter how much you try to squish in there. :)

Guy

STFU!!

Old March 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM

This is a very good book. This is the first book on Visual Basic I have almost finish it. I am on Chapter 21 of 22 chapters. Only one criticism is the book is based on the beta version of the software but with this forum and the errata updates you can work through these problems. The only chapters I had problems with are the web chapters but overall this is a very good book.

Old March 18th, 2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by program2be
 Only one criticism is the book is based on the beta version of the software but with this forum and the errata updates you can work through these problems. The only chapters I had problems with are the web chapters but overall this is a very good book.

Thank you for the reply P2b, I appreciate it! I hope you do great with this one :) I might still take a try at some of it after I get done with the 'Step by Step' book. It looks like a LOT of errors for a technical programming book tho!! I mean if the codes wrong... the program won't work right? I was a bit shocked to see the error list. Maybe it was more because of the beta you mentioned and the changes that came after...

Well good luck again, take care and good programming!

STFU!!

Old July 13th, 2007, 07:42 PM

I would like to thank the authors of this book for finally making real sense of the VB language to me. For years I've tinkered with VB and it's always been spaghetti code. Now I have a very good grasp of OO programming, classes, functions and general code writing.

My favorite part of this book is the way that examples are written..
  • Explain what we're about to do
  • Display example code that's clearly documented
  • Explain every step of what just occurred.
This book is a MUST for anyone who's serious about learning VB.NET. I preferred this book over the MS Step by Step book.