Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7401-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2005 by Thearon Willis, Bryan Newsome; ISBN: 9780764574016
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7401-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM

Default Debug/Build Problem

Hello,

I'm kind of embarrassed to post this, but I can't even get started in this book. Every time I debug any program, Visual Basic will pull up the window I'm working on, and immediately go back to the page I ran debug from. I have no errors or warnings, but I also cannot interact with anything I program! I have a feeling this is merely a misapplied option, or something wrong with my preferences, but as it stands, I'm stymied.

Please Help!!!

Old June 8th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Wrox Author

What I hear you saying is that when you debug a program, Visual Studio always takes you back to the code window in the IDE. If this is correct, it sounds like maybe you are clicking the step into button versus the start debugging button.

Please review Chapter 9 - Debugging and Error Handling and then let me know if you still are having problems or have any questions.

Thearon

Old June 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I looked through Ch. 9, but nothing in there assisted me. I guess I should clarify my issue. Whenever I click the green "play" debug button, click on 'Start Debugging' int the Debug menu, or hit F5, the IDE will debug whatever project I have open. If I am in the Form Design window, I will see the Form jump to the left where I have my Toolbar menu docked, then immediately jump back to the form desing window. Same thing happens if I am in the code window; everything jumps to the left, then back to the designer, without my program ever displaying. I'm not using a lot of code, just the simple MessageBox.Show("Hello World") practice program. I do have one project that will open my window and allow me to test it, and the only thing I am aware that I changed is in the Project Menu. On Properties, I clicked on Debug, then unchecked 'Enable the Visual Studio hosting process' box. It works fine, but doing the same in my other projects has not yielded any results.

By the way, your personal attention to my little problem has won Wrox a reader for life! I am extemely impressed by the level of service I can receive here! Thanks so much for your attention on this.

Old June 9th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Wrox Author

This may sound like a silly question, but have you set a breakpoint in your code and does the IDE stop at that line of code when debugging?

I tried unchecking the Enable the Visual Studio hosting process checkbox and was still able to run my project in debug mode.

I guess that I'm at a loss here and would suggest as a last resort to rerun the setup program and choose the repair option.

Thearon

Old June 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks a ton for your suggestions. I managed to figure out the problem. It turns out that it didn't like my Kensington Mouseworks software. I uninstalled the software my mouse, and now everything runs perfectly.

Thanks again for all your help! I can't say enough how much I appreciate it!