Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7401-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2005 by Thearon Willis, Bryan Newsome; ISBN: 9780764574016
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual Basic 2005 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7401-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Authorized User

Default Chapter 18 - Can't Run WAT

I'm working through the first Try It Out (p. 586). I've gotten to step 3, where I'm supposed to start working through the WAT. When I click on the Security tab, I get an error message:

"There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect to SQL Server database. "

There is a button in the corner that says "Choose Data Store." When I click that button, I get this message:

"Use this page to configure how Web site management data such as membership is stored. You can use a single provider for all the management data for your site or you can specify a different provider for each feature.

Your application is currently configured to use the provider: AspNetSqlProvider

Select a single provider for all site management data
Select a different provider for each feature (advanced) "

When I click on single provider, I only have one option (AspNetSqlProvider), but when I click the Test link, I get this:

"Could not establish a connection to the database.
If you have not yet created the SQL Server database, exit the Web Site Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to create and configure the database, and then return to this tool to set the provider. "

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now. I have SQL Server 2005 Developer's Edition installed as well as VS2005. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old May 26th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
quote:I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now.
Search this forum for the exact error message. You'll find posts like this one:

http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_...25/423703.aspx

Hope this helps,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old May 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imar

Quote:
quote:I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now.
Search this forum for the exact error message. You'll find posts like this one:

http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_...25/423703.aspx

Hope this helps,

Imar

Imar:

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I needed. Now I can access the security tab and can now finish the chapter. Thank you again!

Eric