Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Expert Access 2007 Programming ISBN 978-0-470-17402-9
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Expert Access 2007 Programming by Rob Cooper, Michael Tucker; ISBN: 9780470174029
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Expert Access 2007 Programming ISBN 978-0-470-17402-9 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Authorized User

Default Dashboard example

This is an excellent Access Book !!!. I´ve been trying to make the dashboards components avaiable to different users using a table of options, so I decided to go to chapter 12, but althought it says how to save different options (by a table o in the registry), I can understand how can I manage to applied the dashboard example with different users , when two of them can choose the same dashboard...

Anyway great book, well written !!!, with a los of useful examples

Old January 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Wrox Author

Hi,

Thanks for the question. I'm glad you are finding the book helpful!

If the database is split, you can use the table approach for options and store "user" options in a table in the front-end database. This should allow for multiple users to have their own choices for the components as each user will have their own table.

You could extend this design further and create an options table in the back-end database where option values stored in this table would be similar to "system" options.

An alternative design would be to make the options table aware of the user who is using the system. This can be done with another column in the options table for the user name, or perhaps with a lookup into a user table to help keep the options table normalized. If you are using a custom security scheme, this might be a viable approach.

Hope this helps! Thanks again.

Rob Cooper
Lead Software Design Engineer in Test
Microsoft Access Team

co-author: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference
co-author: Expert Access 2007 Programming

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.