Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Ajax 2nd Edition ISBN: 978-0-470-10949-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Ajax, 2nd Edition by Nicholas C. Zakas, Jeremy McPeak, Joe Fawcett; ISBN: 9780470109496
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Ajax 2nd Edition ISBN: 978-0-470-10949-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 7th, 2009, 02:58 AM

Default QUESTION FOR Mr. MINATEL

Dear Mr. Minatel,

I posted a question a couple days ago, but I haven't received any answer yet, although I specially addressed the authors of this book, i.e. the one of them who was in charge for JSP part of chapter 9. Furthermore, I noticed that Mr. Zakas is regularly updating his site (nczonline.net) continuing the saga about himself endlessly loving poentry, being unexpectedly ill, and so on. In my honest opinion, he should first answer the post related to HIS book, and then think about his hidden passion.
The examples given for this book are full of errors, it a disaster, really, and for this specific error I posted a question I lost two days of my life because someone didn't do what he should. Did anyone review examples before putting them on wrox site?

RSVP,
Miskovic
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

miskovic:
The book is not a personal contract or guarantee of services for the author to answer your questions. Wrox authors do better at answering their reader questions than any other technical publisher. However they do this as a favor, not as a contractual obligation.
If you know of a publisher who consistently does better than our authors do at answering readers, point me to their forum, let me see the evidence. I'll watch what they do and see how we can improve.
Nicholas and the other authors may have missed this particular question. I'll remind them of it. I know they tirelessly respond not only here, but also to errata reported through our technical support forms. And you know what? Many of those customer reported errors are errors on the reader's part, not the authors.
Your error report here may indeed be correct. And I'll ask the authors to look at it. However, a simple "I've spent 2 days on this and I'm sure the book is wrong, can someone please help" might have been a much better way to solicit help.
Was the book checked technically? yes. Examples a disaster and full of errors? Well, 1 error is too many. But I'm not aware of any technical book from any publisher that's perfect. This book has been published for 2 years and read by thousands of readers and the extent of the verified technical errors is here, 2 of them:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...Cd-ERRATA.html
There may be more, and we'll be happy to add yours to the list if you are right.
We welcome your participation here. We hope that your continued participation will involve polite conversation even in instances where you are upset.
Thanks.
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:44 AM

Dear Mr. Minatel,

I didn't say anything about errors in the book, just about errors in the examples. Book is just support and I don't pay special attention to errors in it. My post was just the last drop in a full glass, because I am constantly having this kind of problems. It's not just about this book. I will just mention ASP.NET with C# authored by M. McDonald (Apress), which failed to explain some very important hard-to-understand parts of Data Binding, as well as failing to provide correct examples for some very complex tasks. Of course, there is D. Flanagan's JavaScript, having no examples integrity and not working JavaScript-ActionScript communication examples. I think that would be enough, but I will sent you the full list of such books, if you want.
I didn't refer to any kind of obligation or contract when I contacted you. I just thought that if someone invite you to participate in forum for this book at the beginning of this book, then he should stick to that and prove he really meant it. I also had evident proof that I was being ignored.
I am not aware of the fact that there are other forums similar to this, but I know, since I read many books on programming, that most of the authors provide support sites. Because this is my first post, I can't say if there are forums like this one.
Again, I didn't say anything about errors in the book, so errata doesn't mean anything to me. This is programming, not philosophy, and I am really interested in examples here. As I said in replies to Mr. Zakas, I will upload all examples from the book (PHP, JSP, ASP.NET) on rapidshare or similar (if I have the right to do this ???), so you will have a chance to see if I was lying.

You can be sure that you will have my participation here in order to prove I didn't talk with no arguments.

RSVP,
Dejan

Last edited by miskovic; March 9th, 2009 at 02:45 AM..
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Dear Mr. Minatel,

I won't upload your examples, because I solved all the problems. All the details about this, and more, are in my last post to Nicholas in my second thread.

Kind regards,
Dejan
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Dear Mr. Minatel,

I can't reply to your post in my second thread, so I will do this here. I already said everything I wanted, but there are couple of minor things. I haven't used any offensive word because I noticed you did. If problems I was facing were simple, then why Mr. Zakas failed to answer them in his last post? I haven't noticed that he solved any of three problems. Furthermore, he stated that he doesn't have a solution at all for second and third problem. I will tell you now that JSP out Object should be used instead of JSP response Object. I also provided good explanation of how to figure out the difference between these two object. When I stated that I lost three days on this it didn't mean literaly three days, I did other things in those three days - walking, sleeping, eating, playing guitar (hard solos only), but I did lost a good amount of time on this.
I won't write here anymore, simply because you insulted me. You could have left all those words marked as edited. I wouldn't mind.
About noticing on threads/posts. I doubt that any of authors isn't informed by mail when someone posts in forum of his/her book.
Two more things. Someone might notice that two of my posts are edited (it stays that I edited the post). It was just about grammar, since I'm not native english speaker. I haven't changed the meaning of any of my posts at all. For instance, in second post in this thread I wrote "because I constantly having", so I added "am" which was missing. In the second edited post in my second thread I haven't edited anything after someone answered. I just wanted to say that in order to avoid possibility I was hiding something. I also edited this post.
Second thing is that even I won't post here anymore, I am willing to send the list of all the errors for all examples if anyone asks for that. Please just write on forum FOR THIS BOOK, put some contact information and I will do as I promised.

Regards,
Dejan

PS: This what happened is not something that makes me happy. Only special things can make me happy. Live performace of Led Zeppelin, when R. Plant said "does anybody remember the laughter", Layne Stayley's live and studio performance (hard-to-sing songs only) and similar . Programming is just a regular thing, it's nothing special.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Last edited by miskovic; March 11th, 2009 at 07:49 AM..