Ok, I took the following steps and got one example working ..
Within Eclipse, I right-clicked the project (in the Package Explorer) and navigated to Properties ...
With Java Build Path selected on the left, I navigated to the Order and Export tab. Within the list, I made sure that 'Google APIs [Android 2.1-update1] was checked.
Jumping back to the Package Explorer, I dug into my project and double-clicked on AndroidManifest.xml. Within the Application tab, I checked the 'Define an <application> tag in the AndroidManifest.xml' checkbox. Within the AndroidManifest.xml tab, I changed the android:minSdkVersion attribute from 7 to 5.
At this point, I saved my project. I'm assuming I had 'Build automatically' checked (within the Project menu) and the project built, because once I saved the gen folder appeared.
With all the above finished, my errors went away but I had a warning remaining .. something along the lines of having the wrong API level. I changed the android:minSdkVersion attribute back to its original value of 7, saved and built and all was well; I ran the project in the emulator without a problem.
I'm willing to bet all the steps I accomplished above weren't necessary, but it gave me the end result I was after .. hope this helps others who encounter the same problem!