Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Android Application Development ISBN: 978-0-470-34471-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Android Application Development by Reto Meier; ISBN: 9780470344712
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Android Application Development ISBN: 978-0-470-34471-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Default Full sources for examples??

Why only code snips in the downloads?? That seems really unhelpful since the code in the book is also just code snips (missing import statements as another person here pointed out).

Why not post the entire sources for each example in a working, eclipse chewable form? Seems like a pointless omission since I imagine (hope) when the book was being written that these tests were fully implemented and tested at some point. So the code exists, just post it. For some the missing details are no big deal and obvious but for others who are just learning, those missing details can be extremely confusing.
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 287, Level: 5 Points: 287, Level: 5 Points: 287, Level: 5
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the examples. You're point is well made, and in fact what you're describing was our aim when constructing the code download package so it seems I may have missed the mark.

Each of the source-code ZIP files within the download package was created by zipping up a working Eclipse project and removing the bin / obj paths, so they should all be suitably Eclipse-chewable.

The ZIPs named 'Chapter#_Code_Snippets' should all be compilable / runnable when imported into Eclipse. Each contains a series of Android classes (Activities and Services mainly) that contain all the little snippets of code used in that Chapter with all the necessary import statements to make sure everything runs.

The 'Chapter#_Sample_SampleName' ZIPs should be fully working versions of each detailed walkthrough sample project snapshotted after each walkthrough.

I'd love to help make your experience easier -- is there a particular code_snippet / sample project that's not working in the way you'd like? Alternatively, is there a way I can improve how the projects are packaged?

Author, "Professional Android 4 Application Development", Wrox, ©2012, 2010, 2008
@retomeier
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM

Default funny

Well I was just going on the name of the download which says "code snips" so that is fantastic if you did include each entire project!

In any case, the book is great. I'm on chapter 4 and so far I'm 0/1 for finding anything I don't like about the book. Great job.

Last edited by eags; January 6th, 2009 at 04:38 PM..