Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Android Application Development ISBN: 978-0-470-34471-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Android Application Development by Reto Meier; ISBN: 9780470344712
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Android Application Development ISBN: 978-0-470-34471-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Default Chapter 4 ToDoList Problem

Hi,
I've just started with Android and tried the ToDoList example from the Chapter 4 of the book.
For some unexpected reason, the sample crashes on the emulator as soon as I press the DPAD center button. I'm new to Eclipse and find it difficult to debug the application and am still struggling with it.

Here are the project files.
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n3cfvo9igb056l2/NewToDo_List.zip
I've tried using Android ver 2.0 & 2.2 emulators, but still the code crashes.

Thanks for your help.
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:20 PM

I'm facing the same problem. Did you manage to solve this?
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM

Question Same here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythe View Post
Hi,
I've just started with Android and tried the ToDoList example from the Chapter 4 of the book.
For some unexpected reason, the sample crashes on the emulator as soon as I press the DPAD center button. I'm new to Eclipse and find it difficult to debug the application and am still struggling with it.

Here are the project files.
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n3cfvo9igb056l2/NewToDo_List.zip
I've tried using Android ver 2.0 & 2.2 emulators, but still the code crashes.

Thanks for your help.
I'm in the same boat. Has anyone found a solution to this problem ?
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
Authorized User
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Possible fix

I had the same problem and was pulling my hair out, but it would seem that very small typing mistakes make a big difference.

I think your problem may be in the package you used to create the original project. You used 'comp.paad.todolist' according to the file TodoListItemView.java that you posted, and the second line of todolist_item.xml has '<com.paad.todolist.TodoListItemView'. I think that changing the second line of the todolist_item.xml to '<comp.paad.todolist.TodoListItemView' will do the trick.

You may want to knock the project right out of Eclipse and start again with the correct package name, then you will be able to pull in the source code from the web site if things start going wrong again.

I have only just started reading the book, so apologies if the above is not a lot of help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aajshaw For This Useful Post:
hmpinc (April 25th, 2011)
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:43 PM

Thanks for posting up this thread.

I was having the same trouble and didn't recognize what the Eclipse debugger was telling me. It turns out I had not consistently spelled the package name as well. It was a very subtle error to a novice of Eclipse/ADT environment.
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:10 AM

mattress protector, waterproof mattress protector, mattress protectorsOffering the highest quality mattress protectors and pillow protectors at a low price. Protects bedding from bed bugs, dust mites, allergens and spills.
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM

You need to change the property of your AVD:
Open AVD Manager dialog -> choose a AVD -> Edit... -> click New... in Hardware frame -> select DPad support option -> OK
--------------------------------
Good luck!