Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages ISBN: 978-0-470-12448-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages by Jacob J. Sanford; ISBN: 9780470124482
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages ISBN: 978-0-470-12448-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 11th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Authorized User

Default How to use Mobile Emulator? Chapter 10

I am building the ASP.NET V2 web site that should be used by Mobile 6.0 devices. This is in chapter 10. I don't have any mobile devices and this is the first time I've tried this, so I'm just getting my feet wet. I downloaded and installed Windows Mobile 6 Professional from Microsoft's web site. The problem is that I don't know how to get VS5 to allow me to test a web site I'm building using a Mobile 6 emulator.

In VS5 I selected Tools, Connect to Device. It displayed a list of Mobile 6 devices, as well as a few other devices. I selected "Windows Mobile 6 Professional Emulator". It said that it connected. Then I typed in a URL. It displayed the message: "Cannot connect with current connection settings. To change your connection setting Tap settings.". I don't know what to type into these settings. I am using a DSL line from AT&T. I would like it to display the ASP.NET web site that is currently opened in VS5. When I right-click "Browse With" on one of the web pages, the emulator that is connected does not display as an option.

I would also like it to display actual Internet web sites whose URLs I type in. I believe that should be possible, but I get the same error message no matter which URL I type.
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Friend of Wrox

Did you start the emulator? I didn't try version 6 of the emulator, but I was able to use version 5. I went into the emulator first and brought up a browser in there. Then I connected to my IIS on my main machine to test my web site.

I didn't try to use the internal web server in VS2005 but I guess that "might" work if you modify the URL you specify inside the emulator to account for the dynamic port number. But even that may not work because the built-in web server is not designed to be used from anything but localhost. The emulator appears as another computer. By hosting your site in IIS on your local computer that will make it visible to the emulator for sure. Of course, XP Home Edition can't be used for that.

This shouldn't need your internet connection. All your testing is local, right? It only needs to know how to get from the emulator to the main PC. On page 369 you can see that the author typed the IP address of his main PC from inside the emulator. All IP's that begin with 192.168 are local and not across the internet. To get the IP of your main PC, just open a command prompt and type "ipconfig".

Eric