Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Professional ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB ISBN: 978-0-470-18757-9
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Bill Evjen, Scott Hanselman, Devin Rader; ISBN: 9780470187579
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB ISBN: 978-0-470-18757-9 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:12 AM

Default No Access to TemplateField in Gridview

I am trying to add a new TemplateField in Gridview. I can add the field using the GridView Smart Tag, but when I select the Edit Template option from the Smart Tag, the ItemTemplate panel is displayed, but I am disabled from clicking in the panel because the cursor becomes a "No Entry" symbol.

If I select the AlternatingItemTemplate i get the same problem.

However, if i come out of the smart tag and right click the new column and select "Edit Template", i can choose column4 (my new column) and VS displays all the templates available for the column. I still cannot select the ItemTemplate becasue the cursor is displayed a s a "No Entry" symbol. But, I can select the AlternatingItemTemplate and use the "back arrow" key which places an editing cursor in the ItemTemplate view. I can then type text into the template, but cannot insert any controls.

BTW The GridView control is in a ContentPlaceHolder Control (I am using a master page). The ""No Entry" symbol is the same as that you see when the cursor is anywhere outside the ContentPlaceHolder.

Have I got a setting wrong somewhere?

I'm sure I have done this before successfully, but cant see what I have set differently.

I've checked and dont see others reporting a similar problem.

I am using:
Windows 7
VS2008 Professional 9.0.30729.1 SP
ASP 3.5 SP1

Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
BTW The GridView control is in a ContentPlaceHolder Control (I am using a master page).
Is the GridView in the MasterPage or the ContentPage? If it's in the MasterPage, then are you trying to define a default content (for when there is no content control in the content page)? If it's in the content page, then it should be in a Content control, not a content placeholder.