Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional ASP.NET MVC 2 by Jon Galloway, Scott Hanselman, Phil Haack, Scott Guthrie, Rob Conery; ISBN: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 15th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Default Seriously?

What is with all the errata in only Chapter 1?

To sum up:
  1. In order for the ViewModel to work correctly, you must use an overloaded TryUpdateModel method. This is not mentioned at all in the book.
  2. The jQuery in the map section goes after IDs that don't exist. I had to manually inspect the code generated by ASP.NET to get the correct IDs to give to jQuery.
  3. The CSS to position the map correctly is nowhere to be found (except on this forum).
  4. The NearestDinners method is missing from the C# code in both the book and downloadable code.
  5. Other various issues with markup.

And I haven't even finished the chapter yet...

I'm trying to determine if I should return this book because it's so frustrating to work through (except for the stuff that does work, of course). Can anybody confirm if the rest of the book is like this?
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Default Completely agree

I completely agree with you. I'm very disappointed with this book. Especially since the authors of this book Jon Galloway, Scott Hanselman, Phil Haack, Scott Guthrie, Rob Conery are the TOP dudes in the MVC world. If they can't even write a book about how to properly write MVC 2 apps then it makes you wonder if it's either sloppiness on their part or is MVC 2 this difficult to implement.

Last edited by adude28; August 25th, 2010 at 04:28 PM..
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude28 View Post
I completely agree with you. I'm very disappointed with this book. Especially since the authors of this book Jon Galloway, Scott Hanselman, Phil Haack, Scott Guthrie, Rob Conery are the TOP dudes in the MVC world. If they can't even write a book about how to properly write MVC 2 apps then it makes you wonder if it's either sloppiness on their part or does MVC 2 suck this bad. I'm actually beginning to evaluate other technologies like PHP to migrate my apps to.
Like I said, there are fixes. It's mainly just sloppiness on the authors' part.

I have evaluated ASP.NET MVC 2 against other languages and frameworks, and found it to, after fixing the bugs in the book, to be better than the alternatives (for my needs). I'm just disappointed the book turned out this way. Although the rest of the chapters seem to be pretty good (I'm just wrapping up the AJAX chapter).
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I can confirm that the rest of the book is actually a very good reference -- chapter 1 is just overly problematic.

All except for page 359 that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page 359
"... we noticed that attributes in the larger framework tend to be nouns that describe the method, class, and the like that the attribute is applied to."
Should be...

Quote:
"... we noticed that attributes in the larger framework tend to be adjectives that describe the method, class, and the like that the attribute is applied to."
Eh... whatever.
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Authorized User

Default Very frustrating

I was so lucky to find chapter 1 of their first book (ASP.NET MVC) and found the tutorial very useful. It was actually the reason for me to buy the updated version (ASP.NET MVC 2), but as you guys, I'm very frustrated about all the errors in the chapter!

I hope that they will make a second edition of the book and let all buyers of this first version download it (or at least chapter 1) for free.