Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional ASP.NET MVC 2 by Jon Galloway, Scott Hanselman, Phil Haack, Scott Guthrie, Rob Conery; ISBN: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 1st, 2011, 01:52 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightattheroxy View Post
Did anyone proofread the NerdDinner chapters??

Code doesn't match up with text. Missing code. No namespaces in examples.

For example the Helpers folder is not even mentioned...ANYWHERE.

The download code is a waste...copy of wrong code in book.

This book is a turd with stink, flush it.

two words for you....PROOF - READ
three more...DO - NOT - BUY
I completely agree with that, although I think in some way is good to have some typos here and there because in that way you can dig a little more and force you to understand better by exploring some solutions by your own, at the end this book it is supposedly to be:

a) A tutorial (as a matter of fact the almost official tutorial because it comes from the ASP.NET MVC 2 MS team), so at least the NerdDinner has to be bug -free because when it went to public, this book was at that time, one of the few references on this framework.

b) Bug free, let me say that I got v1 of this book and now I got the 2nd edition, I mean I tried to follow it when the name was just ""Professional ASP.NET MVC" but it contained several errors, so I though "ok no problem let it pass the framework (and the book) to a more mature stage", then I got "Professional ASP.NET MVC-2" => the framework has evolved to V 2.0, so I though the book will be better written ( at least with complete proven code ) but than IS not the case.

In my humble opinion I guess it is a shame that the ASP.NET MVC-2 team consider this kind of errors minor mistakes.

Try to follow the same flag tutorial when you purchase "Agile Web Development with Rails" by The Pragmatic Programmers and although the book also contains errors, many developers, forums and the editors themselves tries to help the new comers to Ruby On Rails, so you can feel confident about the framework and about the book; At the end you got a complete App based on RoR and a general understanding of the principles and architecture of the framework.
They also tried to include the minimum prerequisites on the language and on infrastructure at the beginning of the book so you can go hand by hand learning Ruby and learning Rails at the same time.

They put complete code and explanation and when there is a typo you can find an apology in the forum and guidance to solve the problem.

Hope this opinion helps other when purchasing this book.
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 539, Level: 8 Points: 539, Level: 8 Points: 539, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Probably didn't proof read or test it. Sad to say my iPhone SDK book was far more accurate (did not encounter any errors at all).

I'm monitoring the mvc forums to help others to at least get past the 1st chapter.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:27 AM

Default Default parameter for page

To those of you who had errors with the default parameters using .NET 3.5: try this approach with a nullable int:

Code:
        //
        // GET: /Dinners/
        //      /Dinners/Page/2

public ActionResult Index(int? page)        {

const int pageSize = 5;
            if (!page.HasValue) { page = 0; }

var upcomingDinners = dinnerRepository.FindUpcomingDinners();
            var paginatedDinners = new PaginatedList<Dinner>(upcomingDinners,
                                                             page.Value,
                                                             pageSize);

return View(paginatedDinners);