Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional ASP.NET MVC 2 by Jon Galloway, Scott Hanselman, Phil Haack, Scott Guthrie, Rob Conery; ISBN: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional ASP.NET MVC 2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM

Default Initial JavaScript Implementation

P. 121
Comments for the Register action should be "//AJAX: /RSVP/Register/1", instead of "//AJAX: /Dinners/Register/1"

P. 124
Request and Response text examples should reflect using "/RSVP/Register/49" instead of "/Dinners/Register/49" to reflect actual implementation. Also, the line just before the Request text example should state "/RSVP/Register/1" as the URL requested.

now, all that being said; following the rest of the examples to this point, I get a 404 error when attempting to click on the RSVP link. Compared the code to the downloaded examples, and it matches (minus all the extra stuff added in later in the chapter). when I figure it out and if it's an errata, I'll post it up (could just be I over looked something).

oh, and I'm using the pdf download of chapter 1, as a review. given the # of errors i'm encountering in the examples, I am not inclined to purchase the book, but we'll see how I feel once I'm fully through the NerdDinner example.

Last edited by wjwolf79; October 22nd, 2010 at 03:32 PM..
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Default Page 41

I believe the references on the bottom of page 41 should say DinnersController instead of DinnerRepository class.
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Authorized User

Default dinnerToCreate on page 91

On page 91 it shows:

return View(new DinnerFormViewModel(dinnerToCreate));

It should be:

return View(new DinnerFormViewModel(dinner));
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Authorized User

Default Page 99 - Snippet 1-61

On page 99 it states:

<% Html.RenderPartial("LoginStatus"); %>

But as far as I know, we have not created this view, so the correct command should be:

<% Html.RenderPartial("LogOnUserControl"); %>

which can be found in Views/Shared.
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Default More errata

1. Currently there are only 2 items listed in the errata. When will all the changes mentioned here be added to the errata for Prof ASP.net MVC 2?

2. There is updated code for Nerd Dinner - http://nerddinner.codeplex.com/
It would be nice to know what the relationship is between the code examples in the book and code download from Wrox and the codeplex code.

3. Many page numbers listed in the index appear to be 1 page number greater than the actual location of the page to which the word in the index points to. e.g.

dependency injection
fake, 154 <--- actually appears on 153

default constructors, 156-157 <--- actually 155-156

Minor discrepancies perhaps, but annoying when searching at the speed of light to get to the right info.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bobinorlando; November 20th, 2010 at 08:06 PM..
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 539, Level: 8 Points: 539, Level: 8 Points: 539, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I submitted many errata to wrox. All I got was an automated response. I see they still have not updated the errata. I don't expect that they will. They don't appear to be active in the forums either.

The codeplex version is heavily and constantly modified. There's no steps to do a walkthrough. Fortunately all the issues I ran across (the book version of nerd dinner) were resolved through this forum.