Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007 ISBN: 978-0-470-28761-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007 by Woodrow W. Windischman, Bryan Phillips, Asif Rehmani; ISBN: 9780470287613
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007 ISBN: 978-0-470-28761-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM

Default Forms in SPD

hi
i am really excited that a SPD book is coming out. What i am really interested in is will there be a chapter or chapters for creating aspx forms and using the asp.net controls via SPD and not through VS code.

waiting in anticipation.

regards
sunjay

Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Authorized User

Hi Sunjay,

Yes, Chapter 12 is all about creating various types of forms, including non-SharePoint .aspx forms and data binding. Note that this is not teaching asp.net programming itself, only how you can leverage SharePoint Designer for that purpose.

- Woody -
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Default Customized "newform.aspx" loses field validations

I've been creating customized forms for entering records into a list, as outlined in Chapter 12. Everything was working great until I realized that the customized form loses required form field validation for any field other than plain text (such as drop downs or radio buttons). I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but it causing me problems. I really like this method of creating custom forms because I can then redirect the user to a page of my choice after submission.

I found a different way to create a newform.aspx that can be customized, essentially by creating a new version of the newform.aspx, adding a second newform below the existing one, hiding the first form and customizing the second. Using this method, the form field validation stays in tact, but now I can't redirect the user to the page I want them to go to. I'd really like to send them to a custom dataview that shows the record they just entered.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this process would be greatly appreciated!
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Authorized User

That's a perfectly valid way of creating a List form. In fact, because the Data Form part doesn't properly support adding attachments (a fix for that has been rumored), you need to create the form this way for a certain workaround to function.

I'm still investigating your redirect question. The source parameter I documented for the Cancel button doesn't work reliably for submit (because submit is actually going off and doing other stuff). I'll post to let you know if I find anything. If you come up with a solution, let us know here, too!

- Woody -
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Default Redirect

Hi Woody,

I did use the "source" sytax in the link to the "new form" and it worked like a charm. I found the syntax at http://www.mysharepointblog.com/post...oint-list.aspx.

-- Ruth
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Authorized User

Hi Ruth,

I'm glad you got it to work! :)

The Source= URL syntax does work, but there are times when it isn't automatically passed through to the Data Form. As I said, keeping the original form around and hidden helps - for a lot of things: Validation, attachments, parameter handling. But some people don't want the overhead. When that happens, you need to edit the JavaScript in the button handlers as I described in Chapter 12. That works for the cancel button, but not always the Submit button.