Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Professional PHP 5 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7282-1
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional PHP5 by Ed Lecky-Thompson, Heow Eide-Goodman, Steven D. Nowicki, Alec Cove; ISBN: 9780764572821
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional PHP 5 ISBN: 978-0-7645-7282-1 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 2nd, 2005, 05:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to mysticav
Default Why not MySQL ???

When I bought the book I was expecting to work with MySQL as almost all the books about PHP/MySQL. For the sake of the majority of programmers, I think that the authors had to consider this popular preference, even if they love posgreSQL.

I think it's better that PosgreSQL users modify the code than MySQL users.
just because one reason: THERE's a LOT OF PEOPLE USING MySQL. A LOT.

Wishing you a lot more editions of this book, consider this issue. A LOT of programmers will be happy.

Old August 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM

1 reason...
PostgreSQL is free. 100% free, for everyone to use. Even businesses.
MySQL, while it works for personal use, has some license agreements that make free use a problem. Not sure where or how, but they talk about it in appendix-D page 612 "The Winning Database" explains fully the advantages.

besides... if you know MySQL, then it shouldn't even be an issue. You should be able to look at what they are doing and draw the code up in your head. SQL translations are pretty basic. I use MySQL as well, though I will actually now be adding PostgreSQL as a second database (for redundant data, just in case). I mean, hell... why not. Its FREE! and once you have the basic SQL classes set up to use both it is no extra work for the rest of your programing. Not to mention it gives you an extra layer of Data validation. If they dont match, anywhere, for any reason, you know you got a problem.

"To err is human. To really F*** things up takes a computer"