Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL ServerReporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, George McKee, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764568787
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Authorized User

Default Access Denines to Reporting Services Folder

I followed the instructions for creating a report using the wizard (chapter 3). Everything worked fine. But, when I went out to the Reporting Service webpage to try and run the report, I got an access denied error message (see blow). I granted full control rights to everyone (to just see if it would work) on the MSSQL folder. That didn't solve my problem.

Anyone have any ideas on how to clear this up.

Chris

Server Error in '/Reports' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Access to the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager\bin" is denied.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager\bin" is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager\bin" is denied.]
   System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
   System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames( String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean file) +229
   System.IO.Directory.InternalGetDirectories(String path, String userPath, String searchPattern) +24
   System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(String path, String searchPattern) +477
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Localizati on.GetInstalledCultures()
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Localizati on..cctor()

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for "Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Localizat ion" threw an exception.]
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Localizati on.SetCultureFromPriorityList(String[] localeList) +0
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.UI.GlobalApp.Applicati on_BeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpA pplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +59
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +87

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Old May 8th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Friend of Wrox

See http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13332
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Friend of Wrox

Thanks for Posting that link Brian.

XUMUSKIEFAN
Wrox Moderator
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Authorized User

Still having the same problem.

I tried to use bmains advice (posted in ASP.NET forum). I went to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager\bin folder in windows explorer and added permissions for IUSR_MACHINENAME (granted full control). That didn't work.

I didn't understand the part about "when <identity impersonate="true"/>". I'm assuming that's code in an asp page, but I didn't see any asp pages in the bin directory.

I did something similar to Zeawater (also posted in ASP.NET forum). I zapped a server and installed Windows 2000 Server on it. I ran dcpromo to make the server a domain controller (with DNS as the only networking option on the server). I installed SQL Server 2000, installed the SQL Server 2000 service pack 3a, installed Visual Studio .NET, and install SQL Server Reporting Services. When I went to open reporting services, I got an internet connection wizard. Wasn't sure about the poxy settings (checked automatically detect settings). After setting up the internet connect, still got the access denied error message.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Chris

Old June 17th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Authorized User

This is actually an interesting problem, but you haven't really provided any information that will help us figure it out.

What operating system are you running?
What operating system is the report server on?
Is "classic" windows security enabled?
What accounts are Reporting services running under?

Give me a little more info, and I will try to help you with this.

Thanks,
Todd

Old June 17th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Authorized User

tabryant,

Answers to questions.

What operating system are you running?
Windows 2000 Server

What operating system is the report server on?
Same server (Windows 2000 Server)

Is "classic" windows security enabled?
Yes

What accounts are Reporting services running under?
Don't know. How would I look this up?

Chris

Old June 17th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Authorized User

When you installed Reporting Services, it should have asked you what accounts that you wanted Reporting server to run under.

If you use the "local service" account, it give Reporting services more authority on your local box, and you usually have less problems.

You can run it under a different account, but that requires more of manual setup process. You have to assign the appropriate permissions to all of the sub-directories and make sure that they are inherited downstream by clicking on the the "advanced tab" when you are setting folder permissions.

You can find out what account your service is running under by going
to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services. Find the Reporting Services service and change the account that it runs under. Hope that this helps.

Todd

Old June 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Authorized User

tabryant,

I checked the log on properties for the ReportServer service. It was set to log on as local system account. So, that's probably the cause of my problems.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Chris

Old June 17th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Authorized User

tabryant,

I checked the log on properties for the ReportServer service. It was set to log on as local system account. So, that's probably NOT the cause of my problems.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Chris

Old June 18th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Authorized User

If that is not the cause, you might want to check the permissions on the directories and ensure the local system, and IUSR_Machine, and ASPNet have the appropriate permissions on the directory.