Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL ServerReporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, George McKee, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764568787
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 7th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Default Chapter 4 - Filtering example

I've been unable to successfully use the Filters Expression Builder in the example on pg 117. Id there a known bug? Any help is appreciated!

Old June 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Wrox Author

The expression in the screenshot is correct. The text on page 117 is in error and is being addressed. We are filtering on the SubCategoryID field. Appologies for the confusion.

Paul Turley, MCSD, MCDBA, MCT, MSF Practitioner

Old June 15th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Authorized User

I too am having trouble with the section on Page 117.

"Fail to evaluate Filter expression/Filter values."

I THINK I have done it correctly. I have added the report parameters as noted at the bottom of p 116 and top of 117. I did NOT leave everything else to the default because when I did instead of getting two drop-down lists at the top of the form for category and sub-category, all I got were vacant text boxes where I was expected to know the values to add.

Next I went back to the Data tab as noted and clicked the ellipse to add the data filter, this put me into the SubCategoryList Data set, I assume this is the one we wanted to filter?? The book does not say.

I then added the filter expression from the figure 4-27 (not the text of the book).

When I run the preview I get a filtering error: "Fail to evaluate Filter expression/Filter values."

My filter expression is:
=cInt(Fields!ProductSubCategoryID.Value) = =Parameters!SubCategoryID.Value

Anyone have any ideas?

Sandy Murdock MCP

Old June 18th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Try CInt on both sides
=CInt(Fields!ProductSubCategoryID.Value) = CInt(Parameters!SubCategoryID.Value)

Rgds.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:30 PM

It is also mentioned that we can enhance the expression manually as a single expression, if we needed to bring back all products for category if no sub-category was selected. Any idea on how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Old September 24th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to sja

Hello.
I am reading this book and ran into the same trouble as pehrig and jmurdock in this example. By help from this topic I succeeded in completing this without error.

BUT, in the book it is not stated which Dataset the filter is connected to. Sandy assumes it is the SubCategoryList. I got this sample working using the first dataset at page 116 (which on the bottom of page 117 is called ProductsByCategory) as dataset.

Any Comments from the Book Authors?

regards Svend

Old September 24th, 2004, 02:39 PM

I figured out how to return all categories.

having added an "all categories" values to the parameter list, add following line to filters.

Expression
  =IIF(parameter.value = "all categories", "all categories", field!category.value)
  Operator
      =
  Value
  =Parameter.value