Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL ServerReporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, George McKee, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764568787
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:37 AM
Authorized User

Default Chapter 6 - Roles/Permissions

I'm having a problem where the users cannot see their folders is the report manager webpage.

I have RS setup on a server that is a domain controller. In the active directory users & computers, I setup an organization unit called REPORTING. In the REPORTING OU, I setup reporting groups and users. I assigned the users to the appropriate group. Then, I setup folders in the report manager webpage corresponding to the REPORTING groups. I clicked on the properties for the folder and was able to add a new role associating the folder to the reporting group (giving the users browser role). Everything seemed to work fine on the server. But, when the user logs in from their PC, he/she has no folders in the report manager.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Authorized User

Try making your users log off and log back on so that their security context is updated. When you first log in, you are give a token that contains all of your user and group information. They get that token when they first login, and your changes to the DC don't have any effect until they log in again. If this doesn't work for you, we will try again.....

Todd Bryant
MCSD,MCDBA,MCSE,MCT
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Authorized User

Ok, I figured out how to fix part of the problem. I was trying to grant access to a folder called Accounting. I didn't realize that I had to grant access to the Home folder. Once I created a new role assignment for the Home folder, I was able to see the Accounting folder and the reports in that folder.

I have a new problem relating to permissions. When I run the report from the client, I get the following error message.

The current action cannot be completed because the user data source credentials that are required to execute this report are not stored in the report server database. (rsInvalidDataSourceCredentialSetting) Get Online Help

I tried running a report in the home directory and got the same error message. The data source is setup in the home directory using Windows NT Authentication (for both reports). I even tried using Credentials Not Required and got the same error message.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Chris

Old June 28th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Authorized User

The report is probably using a shared data source. The data source is not updated automatically because it is shared. You must specifically update any changes that you make to the source. If you are using any caching or scheduling with the data, then you must provide credentials that will be used.

Todd Bryant
MCSD,MCDBA,MCSE,MCT