Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL ServerReporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, George McKee, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764568787
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 1st, 2004, 07:47 AM
Authorized User

Default Convert Wizard Report to Custom Report

I have been trying to get a report with grouping, it is a report from a survey which shows the:

Question Group Title
Question
    Answer 1
    Answer 2
    Answer 3

Question
    Answer 1
    Answer 2
    Answer 3

Question Group 2 Title

etc.

I can get the report to show the question group title properly (at the beginning of the group of questions) but I cannot get the answers to group properly.

I decide to see if the Wizard could produce this report. It can. HOWEVER, I use stored procedures and in order to get my report to work instead of just declaring the name of the proc and declaring the parameters (as report parameters) I am forced to use the exec command and hard-code parameters.

When I do that I get the report I want. That proves it can be done.

I have gone back into the Wizard created report and added report parameters but when I try to force my data set to use them I just get an error and it won't work.

I have also tried to look at the form created by the wizard and see how it created the groups (to duplicate the method) but I can't get the same result.

So, how can I use the wizard to create reports based on stored procedures with parameters, then go back and get the report to recognize and use parameters when I add them to the report.

Is that confusing enough?

Thanks.

Sandy Murdock MCP
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:38 AM
Authorized User

I did not succeed in modifying the report created by the wizard in the way that I wanted.

What I did do however, was take the report created by the wizard (which I could not control via parameters) and copy the table portion from that report to one that I created with the appropriate parameters. It works.

Sandy Murdock MCP