Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL ServerReporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, George McKee, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764568787
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:19 AM

Default Multiple Selection on Report Parameters

Hi,
I need to allow users to do a multiple selection on a list, and that list it's a Report Parameter.

Supposing that parameter that is shown as a list and has the following name:
@NamesList

So then in the dataSet I do the following:

Select name, salary from Clients where name in @NamesList

I will really appreciate if someone could answer this or at least someone please tell me if this it's possible.

Thanks...

Old August 24th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Did you find out how do a multiple selection list? Before we can move to this new product we must be able to do multiple selection lists.

Thanks for any information

AHFMR

Old September 8th, 2004, 04:49 AM

hi,

i'm interessted too in the multiple selection on the list in Reporting Services. but i have another problem to add at this: if you make more than one selection how could you use it for generate a table for each one of selections that you had made ( in layout you create one table).

thank you in advance for yours answears.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:13 PM

I Hope these findings help:

Parameter lists do not allow multi-select.
Options for multi-select:
  Change the value of the parameter to a string, and let the user type in a list of values.
  For numeric values, change the query to an expression that incorporates the list into an IN clause. To do this, you must switch to the Generic Query Designer and then convert the query to a string expression that concatenates the parameter with the rest of the query. The folloing example shows how to achieve this:
    ="SELECT * FROM vProduct
      WHERE MonthNumber IN ("+ Parameters!Month.Value +")"

For string values, create a user-defined function (UDF)
    that can split the multi-select parameter string into an inline table that you can use in an IN clause, or that can be joined with the main view.

When you create a query as a string expression, you must first create and execute the expression as a standard query to allow Report designer to identify the fields in the resulting data set. Then u can convert the expression to a string so that you can concatenate elements.

Old October 1st, 2004, 11:05 AM

I took what you posted (THANKS!!!) and built a Custom Code function to handle IN Lists. Here is a more detailed way to handle multiple values. I typed this up for another forum but thought I'd share.

Quote:
quote:

Eureka! Ok, I didn't solve the "multiple selctions" thing but I DID figure out how to use IN Lists if someone types in a comma separated list of values into a free text developer.

1) Place this piece of Custom Code to put in the report:

public function InValue(InString as String, _
            Optional InType as String = "S", _
            Optional InDelim as String = ",")

' Author: Mike La Pointe
   ' Date: 10/01/2004
   ' Descr: Accepts a delimited value and returns
   ' a quoted delimited value

Dim newString
   Dim delim = "'"

if InType = "N" then
      delim = ""
   end if

newString = delim _
        + join(split(InString,InDelim), delim + "," + delim ) _
         + delim

return newString

end Function

2) Build a simple query as follows in the Generic Query Builder and execute it to the fields:

select * from <table>

3) Build a parameter (I call it MyParam in this example)

4) Change the query to the following:

="select * from <table> where <field> in ( " + Code.InValue(Parameters!MyParam.Value) + ")"

5) Run the Query:
Comma is the standard delimiter to pass into the query but others can be used (3rd optional parameter)