Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL ServerReporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, George McKee, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764568787
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Authorized User

Default Text Box... Width

Since RS is building a report based on a dataset from a database... and fields in a database have precise width limits... are there ways to make sure that your text box or whatever can accommodate X characters... other than allowing the text box to wrap... or guessing what size you should make it?
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Friend of Wrox

I didn't think so, I thought you had to hard-code the width. Now, you may be able to calculate the width of the characters and dynamically change the textbox width using code, but I'm not sure about that...

Brian
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:58 AM

One of the Properties for a textbox (when you right-click on the box and choos Properties) is Textbox Height. Click off the "Can Increase to accommodate height" and then at least the data will get truncated. Try to make the field big enough in to accomodate most data.

It doesn't specifically resolve your issue but it would at least keep it from going to two lines.

Old January 25th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MER78
 Since RS is building a report based on a dataset from a database... and fields in a database have precise width limits... are there ways to make sure that your text box or whatever can accommodate X characters... other than allowing the text box to wrap... or guessing what size you should make it?
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MER78
have you found any solution to this problem?

Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Authorized User

MER78 I'm sorry to post out of place here, but I'm assuming you haven't read your old Post in a while. Regarding your post on drill down tables...you reference p130 of a book...what book was that? I'm looking for a good book, and in fact I'm having a problem w/ drill downs that I believe p130 of whatever book you're reading could help.