Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SQL ServerReporting Services by Paul Turley, Todd Bryant, James Counihan, George McKee, Dave DuVarney; ISBN: 9780764568787
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SQL Server Reporting Services ISBN: 0-7645-6878-7 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Default Landscape reports.

Hello, I have a report that I am creating in sql reporting services, and showing lots of columns of data, so I decided to create a landscape report. I resized the width of the work area to be my desired width (11 inches). Everything works fine, except when I run the report, there seems to not be a way to print it in landscape unless you change the print option to landscape (an extra step the user needs to do in order to get the print landscape). Also, the report is getting larger width wise, and I need to be able to print on a 8.5 x 14 inch page custom printer. Is there a way I can set the report to always be in landscape mode, and change the page size to 14" long so it will work with the printer which allows that page size?

Please point me in the correct direction, if I am in the wrong forum, I understand this forum is for the book professional sql reporting services, but just though I'd ask. Maybe if there is a specific section I should go look over in the book, because I do have access it.
Old September 6th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via Yahoo to barmanvarn

Go to the report properties. From there, you can set the page heigth and width, as well as set the margins.

Old September 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Yes, this would work, going to the report property section, and changing the width to 11, and height to 8.5. However, when the report sends the data to the printer as 11 width, 8 1/2 height the printer can not support that, because it only knows of 8.5x11, or 8.5x14. The report is set up to be header, body, footer, so I would need to make the report go sideways which is impossible. The printer always comes out 8.5 width, and XXX height. The setting on the printer settings of 'Landscape' seems to give a 90degree turn of the report, so it is printing sideways down the height of the page.

So, to sum all of this up, I have tried changing the page properties, but still when you print it out you have to change to landscape, so the printer will actually print sideways down the length of the page...

If there is somthing I am not understanding, please let me know.

Old September 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Authorized User

I admit that I"m at a loss on this one. I usually just set the report properties to 11 by 8.5 and they always print landscape automatically.

I assume you're exporting the report prior to printing? What format are you exporting to?
Old September 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM

I am exporting to PDF format. I guess it is working the way I need it to, I'm not sure what I had exactly, I probably changed the workspace to 11" wide, but didn't change the report properties, and then vise versa. Sorry to waste your time.

I swear however, I had it setup to print 11 by 8.5 in report properties, and came out clipped. It is very possible though (100%), human error is the cause. Thanks!

Old September 6th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Ok, I take my last comment back. I just changed around the report, ran it, exported to PDF, and the part that goes past 8.5 inches, is clipped onto a second page, so a 6 page report is now 12 pages, ect..

It seems to do this when I choose a page size of 14x8.5, legal size, so I believe I have to manually switch the view in acrobat to landscape. :(

Old September 6th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Authorized User

Well, as I said earlier....

I set the report props to 11 by 8.5. When I export it into PDF, it shows on the screen as landscaped, so I naturally prints as landscape automatically.

You're PDF is still showing up as portrait. I'm not sure why it's doing that.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I didn't try it personally, but this might help:
http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/RSPrintLandscape.asp

as far as I've read here and there, Microsoft is currently working on it for a coming release.

cheers

Old March 31st, 2006, 03:49 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 183, Level: 3 Points: 183, Level: 3 Points: 183, Level: 3
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

This is a common issue with the printing component in Report Manager. I've dealt with this as well. The product team is aware of requests to enhance the printing capabilities and have it as a priority for future enhancement. This simple print dialog was added to SSRS 2000 in SP2 and hasn't changed since. You can change the page settings but these are not persisted.

Paul Turley, MCSD, MCDBA, MCT, MSF Practitioner
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Authorized User

Check this out:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn...rvices-part-1/