Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows ISBN: 978-0-470-12677-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows by Benjamin Nitschke; ISBN: 9780470126776
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional XNA Game Programming: For Xbox 360 and Windows ISBN: 978-0-470-12677-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 6th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Default Code differences

I am noticing differences between the downloaded code I have from the Wrox site and the code that is present in the book; am I just using the wrong version? I have one VS 2005 session open with the downloaded project for reference and I am working through the book and typing everything in another VS session to build the Pong game. I find that a lot of functions are set up differently in code from what the book states...an example would be providing ints where the function we've created expects a Rectangle to be created and provided (and as is executed in the downloadable code.) Another would be GameLifesRect vs. GameLivesRect and a few other small things.

I've been working on the stuff for most of the day...am I just tired and missing something blatantly obvious? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM

No, you're not just tired. There are definitely a lot of differences. I've already submitted a few different issues to the Errata page for this book. I got the Pong game working with a few minor modifications to the code in the book without using the downloaded source (other than the images and sounds). However, in the third chapter where he talks about XNA Breakout, you HAVE to download the source code from the web site and use it as the code for many of the helper classes and much of the game aren't listed at all.

Old May 7th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Well I'm glad it's not my eyes going bad

I think my approach is going to switch to using the downloaded code as my code reference, and when I get to a function (TestMenuSprites, for example) instead of reading and typing from the book I'll just find it in the download and use that instead.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:39 PM

If im not mistaken, the author has recently updated the code found on this site. From what I understand, it had to do with the usual bug fixes, changes caused by the refresh and that sort of thing.

Old May 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Wrox Author

Send a message via ICQ to abi.exdream.com

Yes, I'm sorry about that, but most of the early code for the book was written a long time ago even before XNA 1.0 was at (some of it even before the XNA Beta 2 was out) and there were a lot of changes since then. Most importantly I got a lot of feedback on the way content is loaded and I changed it in the last code update. Now all the Content load and unload events are used correctly, before that all that code was in the Initialize method. I also fixed a few bugs and improved some code, but I have not updated the source code in the book yet. I will fix this when I get the book myself (still waiting here in Germany while all you guys are already reading it in the US), not sure myself which source code was in the book. Thanks for the Errata submissions btw.

If you got more problems compiling code or understanding the differences that happend due all those changes, just ask. I'm happy to help with that.

http://abi.exdream.com
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Thanks :) I understand about the code differences; I have yet to read any programming book where all the code in the book matched what was on CD or downloadable. More importantly I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding what I was reading or missing something obvious.

Good book so far though; I'm on to the 3D sections and building my first 3D apps.