Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Wrox's ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Starter ISBN: 978-0-7645-8807-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Wrox's ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit by David Sussman, Alex Homer; ISBN: 9780764588075
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Wrox's ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Starter ISBN: 978-0-7645-8807-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Default Chapter 7 Orders File

Hi, I'm using your book for my e-commerce class and we're up to c7. On page 219 it refers to the Order.aspx page as created in c.5 - unless I slept thru this, we created the Showmenu.aspx page, not Orders.

The source code in Orders.aspx (from the skeleton folder) has the DataList, but it doesn't appear in Design view, nor can we select this text and see the properties to make the required changes. I know we can just pull this file from the complete folder, but I'd like to see what happened here and why the object defined in the code isn't visible in Design View.

Everything else has been working fairly well until this. Thanks!
Sharon

Old March 16th, 2006, 07:38 PM

I tried copying in a new copy of the orders file via adding an existing object, and got same problem, but opening up a new copy of the file and saving it to the project directory got me one with the correct controls. This was not created in c5, as stated, however, that was the ShowMenu.aspx file, which I tried to modify unsuccessfully for c7.

Old June 26th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Authorized User

I had the same problem. Also, in re-creating the page to attempt this, the original was a one-page object and I tried to create the chapter 7 page using code behind and that doesn't work either. Now I'm getting the following error when i try to click an item

Dim ItemPrice As Decimal = Convert.ToDecimal(e.CommandArgument)

Personally, The Item price is a decimal so I'm not sure why it needs to be converted??? and I've checked the book three times to make sure I did it right.

Anyone else with this problem?

Old July 30th, 2006, 03:08 PM

I got a similar error on line 108, 3 lines before your error.

Dim ItemID As Integer =
Convert.ToInt32(IDControl.Value)

Did you find a solution to the error?

NJJim

NJ Jim

Old August 20th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shario
 I'm getting the following error when i try to click an item

Dim ItemPrice As Decimal = Convert.ToDecimal(e.CommandArgument)

Personally, The Item price is a decimal so I'm not sure why it needs to be converted??? and I've checked the book three times to make sure I did it right.

Anyone else with this problem?
Hi,
As I see no reply to this subject. I also have the same problem and do not know how to continue. Please help out.

D.

Old September 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I also ran into this issue and did the following to resolve it:

I changed the value passed in the convert function to:

Dim ItemPrice As Decimal = Convert.ToDecimal(IDControl.Value)

I am up to chapter 8 and this solution has had no issues. the e.Command is unfamilar to me, but the IDControl.Value is passed much like the ItemID within this sub.

Hope this helps.
Kevin