Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Wrox's ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Starter ISBN: 978-0-7645-8807-5
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Wrox's ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit by David Sussman, Alex Homer; ISBN: 9780764588075
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Wrox's ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Starter ISBN: 978-0-7645-8807-5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Default valid dbo; permission to impersonate dbo

When I open the website (complete or skeleton) as they are provided in the download and click in the Database Explorer to expand Database diagrams, I get the Message: 'This database does not have a valid dbo user or you do not have permissions to impersonate the dbo user, so database diagramming is not available. Do you want to make yourself the dbo of this database in order to usee database siagramming?'. When I click Yes, I get the message 'This database does not have a valid dbo user or you do not have permissions to impersonate the dbo user, so database diagramming is not available. Ensure the dbo account is valid and you have impersonate permission on the dbo account.' And this only offers me an 'OK' button to click on.
Any suggestions on where and how to deal with dbo account and impersonate permissions in SQL Server Express ? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Old April 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM

I got this message too and found a an article on it.
It saids to download express manager.
connect to the database
properties
files
change owner to [sa]
this works but not sure why it didn't work with the pc logon owner
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks!

Old September 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM

hi there, im getting the same error, could you please explain in details of how to change ownership to sa, i downloaded the microsoft sql management studio express. but i dont know where to change the ownership. cheers

asp.net...<:!:>
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:04 AM

Hello,

actually, the problem lies in something different:
  • in the "Server Explorer" window, click once on your SQL database file name (for example, "MySQLdatabase.mdf")
  • now have a look at the "Properties" window, row "Owner". It should read something like "MyPCName\John User"
  • if you are not logged in as "John User", then this is your problem
  • if you're logged in as "John User", right click your "My Computer" icon and select "Properties"
  • if your "Full computer name" in the "Properties" > tab "Computer Name" window is NOT "MyPCName" (as in the above example), then this is your problem
Michal Kreslik
michal.kreslik(at)kreslik.com
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:44 AM
Authorized User

Here is a solution for the problem:

http://geertverhoeven.blogspot.com/2...valid-dbo.html