Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 2005 > C# 2005
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
C# 2005 For discussion of Visual C# 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the C# 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 6th, 2007, 11:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to alien13
Default User Setup, Help needed!

Hello, I'm new to C#, I started changing my program from AutoIt to C# last night, and I almost have the major features done.

There is one big problem that I am having at the moment. I don't know how to have an XML/INI/Etc file as the config file.
In my AutoIt version, I use a config.ini file that saves all the information.

My program is basically a hub. The user chooses what programs and websites they want to have in the program. They do this through the setup window. When they click the save button, everything gets written to the ini file.
Also, because there is an option for 5 programs they have to write a name in, and when they click save, the name is shown in a label.

So basically everything is written and read from this ini file. eg. the buttons and labels.

Here is my program so you know what I mean: hxxp://www.alien13.jumbahost.com/Launcher/WoW/CurrentVersion/Setup.rar

Is there a way to do this with C#. I have got the Setup window exactly the same, I just need to make it write to an XML or INI or whatever file and then have that information be read back so that the Launch buttons launch the programs selected, the names are shown next to each launch button, the website buttons launch the default browser and the written in website as well as display the sites name, and the Login button Launch world of warcraft and write in the username and password.

I hope that makes sense, If not just play around with my program above and you should get what I mean. Load in some programs and websites, click save and restart it. Go through the tabs on the main window and you will see how everything fits into place :)

Thanks alien13

New to C#
Known Languages:
AutoIt
English
German(Not much, but a bit)
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I typically use object serialization to deal with config settings (whether they are readonly or read/write). Fortunately, the .NET framework provides some very easy methods for serializing and deserializing objects to and from XML. You can create a class that holds your settings (single global settings as well as setting collections/lists, such as your program list). Then you just serialize an instance of the class to disk. You don't have to write any code that processes XML directly, just let the framework do it.

Take a look at the XmlSerializer class to get an idea of where to start:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...erializer.aspx

-Peter
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to alien13

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the reply!
I'll have a look at the XmlSerializer class and see if I will be able to figure it out.

alien13(Nathan)

New to C#
Known Languages:
AutoIt
English
German(Not much, but a bit)