Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 2005 > C# 2005
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
C# 2005 For discussion of Visual C# 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the C# 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 21st, 2008, 04:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to bakus
Default Network Programing

Hi there!
I'm new to network programming and my knowledge’s are knot enough to make any program. Please can anybody tell me and help another member who want to learn Network Programming what kind of book I must read?
Thank you!

Old February 21st, 2008, 04:18 AM

Another question: Is it posible to conect to a remote modem knowning just it physical address? Or any other information about connect to modems.

Old February 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

When you say 'network programming' what do you mean? TCP/IP communications? .Net Remoting? Networking is a huge topic.

You also mention Modems? I don't think you can really connect to a modem remotely unless you install come kind of modem management software on the PC the modem is connected to. Usually the modem will connect to whatever it needs to and then you just use routing to make sure your communications go via the PC with the modem on.

Also, what do you mean by the 'physical address'? I assume you don't mean that all you know is its in the room next door. MAC Address perhaps? IP Address?

/- Sam Judson : Wrox Technical Editor -/
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Samjudson thank you for your explanation.
I have a industrial modem wich can take a IP address. Than I can live that modem work fare way and connect to them by its IP address. The problem is that I can’t put on it a static IP. The modem is watching a process (the wind speed in a near village). Inside the kiosk in witch the modem is installed for some reason I can’t live a PC connected to the modem. So how many possibilities I have to connect the modem and Can I do it just knowing C# programming?

Old February 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas on how to do what you are asking.

I'd recommend searching for the modem online and seeing if anyone has used it for a similar purpose, or contacting the modem manufacturer.

/- Sam Judson : Wrox Technical Editor -/
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via AIM to Ankur_Verma Send a message via MSN to Ankur_Verma

It stopped being a stock query when you said you cant leave a comp on in that kiosk. Tell me a few things though and I may be able to get the picture,

1) At what point do you attempt a connection with the modem, at what event, that is?
2) What is the desired end result here as in- "When 'A' happens, I do 'B', which gives me 'C' to achieve 'D'..."
3) It has to be connected to some sort of terminal accessible thru IP, e.g. a comp, for you to be able to connect to it from a remote location. You did mention you cant leave a comp on, which tells me that you are aware of this perquisite. But if you cant leave a comp on, what is your way of connecting to it then.

Regards
Ankur
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via AIM to Ankur_Verma Send a message via MSN to Ankur_Verma

There are few things you can do here. Whenever the modem gets online and gets an IP assigned to it, write a script or make use of TAPI APIs to write what I assume should be a simple program, to perfomr the task of extracting the IP address and logging it on a site or database that you CAN access from the remote location. That ther is an IP address in that space would also serve as an indication that your modem is connected and up.

As for you other queries, you said 'C#', I assume you are on Windows platform, in which case you should go over a few books on TAPI. I dont know what exactly you are looking for when you said Network Programming though, but since you aslo admitted you are a biggner, I give it to you, I would suggest however that you aquaint yourself with TAPI first and get over with the task at hand and may be a couple of months down you should be able to decide on these things all by yourself, good luck :)

Regards
Ankur