Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 2005 > C# 2005
|
C# 2005 For discussion of Visual C# 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the C# 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Authorized User

Default How do you get SqlDataSource to requery?

Me again, still trying to get this web control to work.

I have a nice DropDownList that holds the key names and a FormView that displays the data.

The DropDownList DataSource is a SQLDataSource and it appears to work fine.

The FormView has a different SQLDataSource which uses a ControlParameter defined as the Text value from my DropDownList.

When the webpage opens, the Form displays the data from the first item on the DropDownList.

When I select a different item from the DropDownList the Form displays the EmptyDataTemplate. If I re-select the original item from the DropDownList, the EmptyDataTemplate is displayed again.

I added a handler for the SelectedIndexChanged event of the DropDownList to try to see what was hapening and I can verify that the newly selected item is, in fact, being posted back to the server.

It seems that the SqlDataSource is not re-querying after it gets the new key value from the parameter. Or the parameter never gets the new key value from the DropDownList.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

What you don't know can hurt you!

Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Friend of Wrox

Have you tried SqlDataSource.DataBind()?

/- Sam Judson : Wrox Technical Editor -/

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Authorized User

Hi Sam,

I had not tried SqlDataSource.DataBind(). But I have now and it doesn't work. I know that it is firing because I can see it on the SelectedIndexChanged event.

Before I had tried FormView.DataBind(). That didn't work either. On a whim I tried populating the DefaultValue of the SelectParameter in the dropdownlist's SelectedIndexChanged event handler. That also did not work.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Friend of Wrox

Ah, I think what you actually want is to use the SelectedValue of the DropDownList, not the Text value.

Code:
<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" 
    ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:TestConnectionString %>" 
    SelectCommand="SELECT [ID], [Name] FROM [Table1] WHERE ([Type] = @Type)">
    <SelectParameters>
        <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="DropDownList1" Name="Type" 
            PropertyName="SelectedValue" Type="String" />
    </SelectParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>
HTH.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Authorized User

Sam, I have tried it both ways. Both "Text" and "SelectedValue" post back the selected value, but neither populates the parameter. Even if I programatically populate the DefaultValue of the Parameter at run time, the data source fails to return any records.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

My test form works fine I'm afraid - here is the drop down list to go with the above SqlDataSource:

Code:
        <asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server" AutoPostBack="true">
            <asp:ListItem>A</asp:ListItem>
            <asp:ListItem>B</asp:ListItem>
        </asp:DropDownList>
There is no code behind - it all just works automatically.

Can you possibly post some of the code you have?

Old May 26th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Authorized User

Hey Sam,

Here's the code from the child page:

Code:
<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/CEMMaster.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="CEMDevMgmnt.aspx.cs" Inherits="CEMDevMgmnt" Title="Untitled Page" %>
<%@ MasterType VirtualPath="~/CEMMaster.master" %>
<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="MainContent" Runat="Server">
  <asp:DropDownList ID="cboDevices" runat="server" AutoPostBack="True" DataSourceID="CEMDevices"
    DataTextField="ANALYZER_NAME" DataValueField="ANALYZER_NAME">
  </asp:DropDownList><br />
  <br />
  <asp:FormView ID="FormView1" runat="server" DefaultMode="ReadOnly" DataKeyNames="ANALYZER_NAME" DataSourceID="CEMDevData">
    <ItemTemplate>
      <table style="width:450px">
        <tr>
          <td><b>Device Name:</b></td><td>
            <asp:Label ID="ANALYZER_NAMELabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("ANALYZER_NAME") %>'></asp:Label>
          </td>
          <td><b>Sort Order:</b></td><td>
            <asp:Label ID="ORDER_NUMLabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("ORDER_NUM") %>'></asp:Label>
          </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><b>Description:</b></td><td colspan="3">
            <asp:Label ID="DESCRIPTORLabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("DESCRIPTOR") %>'></asp:Label>
          </td>
        </tr>
  <asp:SqlDataSource ID="CEMDevices" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:TOL_CEM_Connect %>"
    SelectCommand="SELECT DISTINCT [ANALYZER_NAME] FROM [appToledoCEM].[ANALYZERS]">
  <asp:SqlDataSource ID="CEMDevData" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:TOL_CEM_Connect %>">
    <SelectParameters>
      <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="cboDevices" Name="ANALYZER_NAME2" PropertyName="SelectedValue"
        Type="String" />
    </SelectParameters>
    <InsertParameters>
      <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="ANALYZER_NAMETextBox" Name="AnalyzerName" Type="string" PropertyName="Text" />
      <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="DESCRIPTORTextBox" Name="Descriptor" Type="string" PropertyName="Text" />
      <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="LOCATIONTextBox" Name="Location" Type="string" PropertyName="Text" />
      <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="ORDER_NUMTextBox" Name="OrderNum" Type="Int32" PropertyName="Text" />
      <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="TS_ADDTextBox" Name="AddUse" Type="DateTime" PropertyName="Text" />
      <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="TS_REMOVETextBox" Name="RemUse" Type="DateTime" PropertyName="Text" />
      <asp:SessionParameter Name="Adder" SessionField="UserID" Type="Int32" />
    </InsertParameters>
</asp:Content>
The code behind:
Code:
public partial class CEMDevMgmnt : System.Web.UI.Page
{
  void cboDevices_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
  {
    DropDownList ddl = (DropDownList)sender;
    Master.WriteLog(string.Format("Selected Device {0}", ddl.Text));

Parameter pm = (Parameter)CEMDevData.SelectParameters["ANALYZER_NAME2"];
    Master.WriteLog(string.Format("{0} = {1}", pm.Name, pm.DefaultValue));

CEMDevData.SelectParameters["ANALYZER_NAME2"].DefaultValue = ddl.Text.Trim();
    this.CEMDevData.DataBind();
    FormView1.DataBind();
  }
The log file shows the correct selected device! but FormView1 indicates no records returned. Bear in mind that FormView1 does show data when it opens for the initially selected device. So I know the binding to FormView1's datasource works. But when I select a different device with the dropdownlist I get no rows returned! If I re-select the initially selected device, I get no rows returned.