Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Classic ASP Professional For advanced coder questions in ASP 3. NOT for ASP.NET 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Classic ASP Professional section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
  #21 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Old Pedant,

I think it's more of them saying - What did you (me) do to it. I think they know I touched the wrong "button" and I broke it. The server is hosted some where else, but I have total control over the server. I can actually hurt myself all on my own :-)). The @@servername doesn't match my actual machine name/computer name. From what I've been reading, @@servername should match because it is what defines my local server to everyone connecting to the SQL server.

Does that make sense? I think I need to do a sp_dropserver to get rid of the server name that doesn't match, followed by an sp_addserver to change the name of my localserver to what does match my physical computer name.

Thanks again for your help.

Radfo
  #22 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

It looks like I've fixed my problem. My local server name was incorrect for some reason. I ran the sp_dropserver to drop the local server that was registered and then I ran the sp_addserver to add the correct local server and it started working. I discovered this when I selected serverproperty("servername") with @@servername and saw that the two didn't match. The @@servername showed the incorrect servername. I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for the help and ideas Old Pedant.

Radfo
The Following User Says Thank You to radfo For This Useful Post:
Old Pedant (February 25th, 2009)
  #23 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA, USA
Posts: 1,649
Thanks: 3
Thanked 141 Times in 140 Posts
Default

Thanks for telling us how you solved it! Not at all obvious and something I'll stick away in my memory banks for possible later needs.




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
0x80004005 ODBC Error in ASP Script hbansal ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 Basics 1 September 12th, 2008 03:09 PM
Error Type:Server.MapPath(), ASP 0171 (0x80004005) phantom3008 ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 Basics 2 April 26th, 2007 02:28 PM
Error Type: (0x80004005) Unspecified error wilfree Classic ASP Databases 3 April 3rd, 2007 09:04 AM
(0x80004005) Unspecified error MiltonAbreu Classic ASP Components 6 July 7th, 2004 11:34 AM





Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2020 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.