Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
CSS Cascading Style Sheets All issues relating to Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the CSS Cascading Style Sheets section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: , , USA.
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to natmaster Send a message via AIM to natmaster Send a message via MSN to natmaster
Default » in content property

So I want » to show up in my content property, and doing content: '»'; was working fine for the longest time, then I started serving my page up in the proper xhtml mime type (application/xhtml+xml) and firefox started displaying what should have been the », as a ?

What did I do wrong? Is there some XHTML spec restricting »? I tried turning it into a », because I know those are required in the actual XHTML code - but this just displayed the actual string, '»'.

Also, IE ALWAYS displays the ?, even though it doesn't support the proper mime type (so I serve text/html to it).

The site is shadowgaming.org.

I THINK this might have something to do with unicode character encoding, as I remember reading something about the application/xhtml+xml mime type forcing it... I specify charset=iso-8859-1 in a meta tag, but I don't know if that actually does anything.... in the info window in firefox under 'character encoding' it said 'UTF-8'.

Thanks in advance for your help, I hope I provided enough information.

----------------------------
Aeon of Darkness MUD - Free Online Roleplaying Game
http://aeonofdarkness.com
__________________
----------------------------
Aeon of Darkness MUD - Free Online Roleplaying Game
http://aeonofdarkness.com
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: , , USA.
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to natmaster Send a message via AIM to natmaster Send a message via MSN to natmaster
Default

Heh, after further research, I figured it out. It was forcing my charset to unicode, however the document wasn't encoded in it, so the bytestream was confusing it (apparently, it figured out the normal characters though). I edited the actual file's encoding and everything works now.

----------------------------
Aeon of Darkness MUD - Free Online Roleplaying Game
http://aeonofdarkness.com


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
custom Property Enable & Disable in user control tiks C# 1 August 20th, 2008 09:31 AM
Choosing content depending on content of other ele dsekar_nat XSLT 1 February 27th, 2006 05:58 AM
Linux & KDE & C++ & QT & MYSQL & Kdevelop Munnnki Linux 0 January 2nd, 2005 05:41 PM
Overloading & Overriding The Same Property DoorHandle Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 7 August 25th, 2004 07:34 AM





Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2020 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.