(The forum added some underlines to this post. Please ignore the underlines.)
SUMMARIZING 4 TROUBLESHOOTING POINTS FOR MYSQL CONNECTION
1) In Dreamweaver, go to Sites/Manage Sites/Advanced, in “Testing Server,” be sure to configure URL prefix: http://localhost/
.... See Check the URL Prefix in the Site Definition at Macromedia.com. (Note that the URL prefix does not always need to point to http://localhost/
. Right now, we are just using localhost as the troubleshooting web site. The important thing is for “URL prefix” to point to the document root address of whichever testing web site you are connecting to.)
2) Make sure that the MySql extension is activated in php.ini. Take the ; off the left side of the line in order to activate: extension=php_mysql.dll
3) Make sure that extension_dir = “c:\php\ext” is activated in php.ini, and that it points to the correct directory where php_mysql.dll is located.
For PHP5: extension_dir = “c:\php\ext”
For PHP4: extension_dir = “c:\php" Use this if you followed PHP4 installation instructions and copied all the extensions from c:\php\extensions to c:\php.
4) Make sure that PHP is working in Apache server. Does browsing to your http://localhost/phpinfo.php
page display PHP graphics and data?
BLANK PAGES AND ERROR CODES IN DREAMWEAVER
The Dreamweaver Tutorial has you create PHP code on two pages: comments-view.php and comments-add.php. The problem is that after you complete the tutorial instructions, both pages display as blank pages in your Internet browser.
If you’re working on those pages in Dreamweaver, when you click on “Live Data View” you get the following error code:
The testing server did not execute any of the scripts in your document. Possible explanations include:
1) The testing server is not running.
2) The testing server ignores files with the ".php" file extension.
3) Your document does not contain any scripts.
This is caused by a parsing problem in PHP, i.e the PHP code hangs up and your Apache server gives you a blank page. The solution is to make a change in the php.ini file. Change short_open_tag = on to make it read: short_open_tag = off
Good luck. I hope this helps.