Wrox Programmer Forums
|
.NET Framework 2.0 For discussion of the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the .NET Framework 2.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 31st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Authorized User

Default How to Auto Start Windows Service

Hai all, I have written windows service application.In StartType i selected automatic.But After i install the service it was not starting automatically.i should start it manually.Please Let me know what other settings should i make.

Thanks In Advance

Old November 28th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Authorized User

The StartType property specifies the behavior of a service at system startup. It doesn't address the issue of starting a service after you install a Windows Service using the Setup Project.

There are two ways you can address this issue: either instruct your user to restart the computer after installation or write an installer class for starting your service after it gets installed.

You will need to create a library with a class that derives from the System.Configuration.Install.Installer class. Decorate your class with [RunInstaller(true)]. Now override the OnCommitted method and write the following code inside the method:

try
{
  string serviceName = "<your_service_name>";
  ServiceController serviceController =
    new ServiceController(serviceName);
  serviceController.Start();
}
catch
{
 //Handle exception.
}

Compile the project and add its output to the Commit custom action of your Setup project that installs your service. This will start your service as soon as it's installed. Setting the StartType property to Automatic will ensure your service starts automatically each time the computer starts.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers.

ejan
The Following User Says Thank You to ejan For This Useful Post:

Old December 26th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Friend of Wrox

i was also looking for the same answer!

thanks......

Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:07 AM

ejan, thank you for the great tip. but need a bit more help.

when I uninstall the program I get a popup asking me do I want to stop the service I uninstalling. I try many ways, example

I created the override OnBeforeUninstall() here my code

protected override void OnBeforeUninstall(System.Collections.IDictionary savedState)
        {
            base.OnBeforeUninstall(savedState);
            try
            {
                ServiceController service = new ServiceController("SathaiDynIP");
                service.Stop();

service.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus.Stop ped);
            }
            catch
            {
                //Handle exception.
            }
        }

But it doesn't stop the sevices before uninstalling. Can you help?
Thank in advance.

JamesNW

Old April 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM

I tried as your code in vb.net but it is not start once when I finish install. Please help.

Public Overrides Sub Commit(ByVal savedState As IDictionary)
            Dim serviceName As String = "MyService"
            Dim serviceController As New System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController(serviceNam e)
            serviceController.Start()
    End Sub

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ejan
 The StartType property specifies the behavior of a service at system startup. It doesn't address the issue of starting a service after you install a Windows Service using the Setup Project.

There are two ways you can address this issue: either instruct your user to restart the computer after installation or write an installer class for starting your service after it gets installed.

You will need to create a library with a class that derives from the System.Configuration.Install.Installer class. Decorate your class with [RunInstaller(true)]. Now override the OnCommitted method and write the following code inside the method:

try
{
}
catch
{
 //Handle exception.
}

Compile the project and add its output to the Commit custom action of your Setup project that installs your service. This will start your service as soon as it's installed. Setting the StartType property to Automatic will ensure your service starts automatically each time the computer starts.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers.

ejan

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Here's what you should enter:

Code:
<Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission(Security.Permissions.SecurityAction.Demand)> _
Public Overrides Sub Commit(ByVal savedState As System.Collections.IDictionary)

MyBase.Commit(savedState)

'Put the code to start your service here.
        Dim serviceController As New System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController(serviceName)

End Sub

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zawmn83
 I tried as your code in vb.net but it is not start once when I finish install. Please help.

Public Overrides Sub Commit(ByVal savedState As IDictionary)
            Dim serviceController As New System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController(serviceNam e)
    End Sub

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ejan

try
{
}
catch
{
//Handle exception.
}

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers.

ejan