Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 3.5 and Visual Studio. 2008 > .NET Framework 3.5
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
.NET Framework 3.5 For discussion of the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the .NET Framework 3.5 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 30th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Default Visual Web Developer 2008.. Express Edition

I managed to create a website inside the visual Web developer 2008 Express Edition IDE and it is working perfect under the IDE server but when I tried to open it under IIS5, it doesn't work and it gives me the following error:

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

I managed actually to compile the website using the aspnet_compiler.exe using steps from this blog: [u]http://blogs.msdn.com/jamesche/archive/2007/09/27/automating-aspnet-compiler-in-visual-web-developer.aspx</u>. I web shared the compiled folder and then I'm trying to call the default file and it gives me the same error. I'm new to this and I don't know if there any configuation that I need to change or do.. Please help.

Thanks
Neamat
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

That error message is usually followed by this:

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

If that's the case, follow the advice and look into the Event Viewer for a more detailed description of the problem.

Cheers,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:59 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40

Have you set the directory as an application (in IIS manager select the directory and click "Create" to set the directory as an application directory.

/- Sam Judson : Wrox Technical Editor -/
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM

I already created the virtual directory and I made it public in permissions so that it can be used by any user..But nothing happened.. the same thing (The message is: The database file is read only).. Any other suggestion?

Nobody is Perfect.. still a lot to know.. Neamat
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40 Points: 8,687, Level: 40

"The database file is read only"? That is NOT the error message you reported in the first post.

And creating a virtual directory is not what I was on about - I mean setting a virtual directory as an application. If you have done this then the directory should appear as a cog in IIS manager.

/- Sam Judson : Wrox Technical Editor -/
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

Did you look in the Event Viewer? Did you see anything useful there?

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM

Imar, I tried to find anything in the event viewer but I couldn't find any errors related to the same application(or the same day to be exact).

Sam, "The database is read Only" is a new error that is returned to me after I took the advice of someone and changed the .Net drop down from 2.0 to 1.1 in the IIS support to get more meaningful errors. As for changing the folder to an application, I tried to do what you said but I couldn't find the "create" command that you told me about. Can you tell me exactly where can i find it.

Thank you so much

Old August 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Wrox Author

In that case, please post the full error message. It's impossible to suggest anything useful when all we see is a partial error message.

BTW: you *need* the .NET 2.0 run-time in IIS for an 3.5 / 2008. .NET 1.1 is not going to help you at all.

If you reply, please be as specific as possible with regards to your site, its setup, the real error message and so on.

Cheers,

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM

ok.. I deleted all the test virtual directories and i'll start with you from the begining.. I have a totally different error message now. This is the error:

Server Error in '/FrameworksDB_Updatable' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I'm running a .Net 3.5 Web application and I choosed the 2.0 Framework as you said in the virtual folder properties. I'm using IIS5 . Please tell me if there is any specific thing i forgot to write. Thank you

Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM

oh I forgot to say also that the folder is not read only and it's located under the c: drive directly.