Wrox Programmer Forums
|
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 5th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Authorized User

Default saving a variable

hi bit of an odd one here to get your heads around i am creating a program to paste a invoice from multiple folders to just one iv done that no prblems there the poblem comes when i need to have a seperate form to enter in the file path once save it some how then for that file path to be used many times by the end user without hardcodeing it i was using normal vaiables for the file path its just the point that after enter the file path in form to when it closes the app then gose to use the file path from form to it wont be there as you can see this is a majour problem please help

Regards

Matthew Allee
Computer Consultant
R Charles Associates

Old January 5th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Friend of Wrox

Listen Matt: How about giving us a break, and writing like a professional. Add punctuation.
It might be cute in a chat room, but it is taxing to try to read. Plus, caps in the right places further clarify what it is that you are trying to get across.
Don't ask so much of your 'audience.'

Separate, not seperate.
Somehow, not Some how.
Goes, not gose.

I've tried to read your question like 5 times, but I still don't quite follow.
Could you rewrite it with punctiation, re-read it before you hit the submit, and give a little more step-by-step at the point of the problem?
I hate to come on like a grammar teacher, but if you want people to help you, it is helpful to be clear on what it is that you are after.

I want to help, but you make it hard...
I think I see what it is you want, and have 2 ideas to help, but I would like to be clearer on the problem.

Old January 5th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Authorized User

I am very sorry BrianWren, I know my punctuation and speling is terrible i am dyslexic and i can't work out how to use the spell checker on this site. Thank you for your interest, my problem is as follows;

I have a form (form2)on which i enter the file path into a txt box to be used on a seperate form (form1) in the code [FileCopy "Source", "destination"]. i have all this working very well but when i close the project then restart it, the file path has been lost, because it was stored in a variable.

So i need a way to either save the variables to a file then open that file and read them. or something else. i use multiple source file paths but only one destination path. I use String Variables for the file path.

Regards

Matthew Allee
Computer Consultant
R Charles Associates

p.s. I do hope this is much easier to read i tried very hard

Old January 5th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Friend of Wrox

Much better. Thanks.

You can save values in the Registry, which is pretty nice to use.
(I always feel more important when I use the Registry...)

To save the value use
Code:
    SaveSetting App.Title, "<SectionHere>", "<EntryInSection>", <Value>
App.Title could be a different string, if you want to do that.
So you would use like
Code:
    SaveSetting App.Title, "UserPrefs", "FilePath", form2.txtPath.Text
To retrieve the value, use
Code:
    <VariableHere> = GetSetting(App.Title, "<SectionHere>", "<EntryInSection>", <defaultValue>)
So, again
Code:
    form2.txtPath.Text = GetSetting(App.Title, "UserPrefs", "FilePath", "")

A second way would be to just write it out to a file. I really like using the Windows Scripting Runtime, because it is so easy.
Add a reference to your project for "Microsoft Scripting Runtime," (scrun.dll, in systen32 on my machine).
Declare a variable (I like fso):
Code:
    Dim fso As FileSystemObject
    Dim ts  As TextStream

Set ts = fso.OpenTextFile("FileName", ForAppending [or ForWriting], <Create T/F>, TristateUseDefault)

ts.WriteLine form2.txtPath.Text

ts.Close

=============================

Set ts = fso.OpenTextFile("FileName", ForReading, False, TristateUseDefault)

form2.txtPath.Text = ts.ReadLine

ts.Close

Set fso = Nothing
That should do it...

Using the Registry method allows you to easily store several different things (using a different section/item combination), which then can be easily retrieved individually. If you use the writing-to-a-file method, you will have to devise a way to keep things separate if you store more than 1 item.